Chapter 35

That first day of school didn't go exactly how you had expected it to go.

You were elated to find out Tendou was in the same class as you again. When you entered the classroom you had made a straight line for one of the seats near the back, next to the seats that were against the window. You had motioned for him to come to sit next to you, making your seating arrangement basically the same as it had been in your first year.

He had spotted you immediately and took the seat you had kept for him. You didn't notice right away, but during the morning it became clear that his demeanor was a bit different from how it used to be.

When it was time for lunch break, you asked him if he would mind staying behind for a moment to have a little chat.

"Is something wrong?" You asked him as you both stood watching out a window in the hallway, opposite from your classroom.

"Is it that obvious?" He asked and from the expression on his face, you could make out that he hadn't been expecting this.

"I'm not sure if it's obvious to everyone, but I got a distinct feeling that something is bothering you." You explained to him and watched as he ran a hand through his red locks. His hair was getting quite long and sticking out every which way.

After sighing and looking to his left and right, to check if you were alone, he spoke up. "You know how class 1 is seen as the smartest class? Well, my parents didn't like the fact that I had, in their words, 'slipped down' into class 2."

You groaned in understanding. "My parents weren't too happy about it either last year... I don't get where the belief that class 1 is for the smart kids even comes from. Even that guy who sat behind me, what was his name, is still in class 1! He's definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed..."

"Yeah... My dad really lost it for a moment. I thought he'd finally crack and hit me but in the end, he didn't... I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to make them happy." He looked really down now and you were trying to think of something, anything, that could cheer him up.

In the end, you could only think of some well-meant advice. "I know how much it sucks when your parents expect a lot from you, but I think in the end it's still most important to make yourself happy. Not that I'm the best living example of that...

Just try to also do the things that make you enjoy life, you are the one living it after all, not them."

He turned to look at you and at least had a softer look on his face than before. "Thanks for saying that. After the spring break I had, it's nice to hear some kind words."

You were taken aback by the fact that he would admit that to you so willingly but felt honored that he did.

"I don't know what I'd do without a friend like you." He added, leaving you at a loss for words for a moment.

You didn't know how serious his statement was, but to be on the safe side you took more lightly than you wanted it to be.

"I guess you'd be moping around all day and your coolness factor would take a serious hit." You answered, causing him to chuckle.

"Sure." He said before he started pushing you. "Let's go, you're wasting precious lunch break time. I'm hungry."

You gasped exaggeratedly. "You? Hungry?!"

Before responding he pushed you a little harder until you finally started moving on your own. "That I have a small appetite doesn't mean I don't get hungry, twerp."

"Hey! I'm not a twerp!"

"Of course you're not, nincompoop."

-