6

(Don't be a ghost reader)

Arya's POV

Work had been stressful. Life, in general, had been a bit stressful, but coming home at the end of the day made it a lot better, considering the circumstances. Fray had been showing up again later in the night. 

The first night surprised me; it had been a while since she had shown up like that, bleeding, a bruise forming on her face, and barely able to stand straight. When one bruise had started to heal, another would appear. It genuinely hurt me to see her that way; I hated it.

I never bothered to ask... I didn't know if she wanted to talk about it or not, so I never pried. She was private, and I tried my hardest to respect it; it wasn't my life. Everyone had a right to their own thing...even if it did cause them harm, I guess.  Every time I thought I broke a wall down, another appeared the same way her bruises did. 

She never talked much about certain things that had any ties to her past, and she never overly explained as I did.

Still, every morning, even after I told her it wasn't necessary, she would bring me a coffee, and on the nights when she wasn't stapled to the ground in injuries, she would bring me pastries. She was fattening me up. I was grateful for it.

I was finishing up a sketch in my office, I was grateful to have an open space to myself, partially hidden from everyone else on the floor. When I got into my zone, it was hard for me to get out; I hadn't even heard when the door popped open.

"Hey pretty lady, you look beautiful as ever." I looked up, a stank face present on me. Lincoln, another artist I sometimes worked with, walked in. He'd constantly flirt with me, which prevented him from seeing me as a threat, not that I minded; in fact, I took that as an advantage. "I didn't know you'd be here so late. I would have bought you dinner," he said, trying to do some charming smirk....it didn't work. I nodded tightening my lips, I missed my peace and quiet.

 "How about I take you out, huh?" He was persistent, I could say that. If I'd spoken up, this would have been the fourteenth time that I'd rejected him straight to his face. I silently continued doing what I was doing, without replying to him. " I know you said you're gay and all," He said sarcastically, but look, I promise, I'll show you a good time, I can change your mind."

I sighed loudly and rolled my eyes at his presence. "I am gay, Lincoln..." I lookled up from what I was going. "To be honest about it, though...if I did like men, you'd be at the bottom of the list. Have a good night," I said, ending the conversation.

I ignored the look he sent my way, I wasn't required to please or entertain anything from him, he was just another guy looking to get into my pants. Lincoln scoffed and made his way out of my office, making sure to slam it hard.

~~~~~

When I looked at the clock again for the third time today, it was almost 2 in the morning. I had already finished the drawings I was working on. These could make or break where I was in the company, so I put it in a locked drawer in my office and made my way out of the building.

It has been my dream to work here since I was a little girl. Xander would let me dress him up and fit the clothing on him, something I would forever be grateful for. And my parents would indulge me by buying my fabric and taking me thrift shopping. They were great like that, and I missed them every day, but to become the woman I wanted to be, I had to create space from them and the toxicity that followed them. 

My parents hated each other and, more than once had gotten violent with each other, which was why we latched onto our Uncle, who took care of us.

I got home, and I made my way up the stairs to my apartment. I was tired and my feet hurt, I thought for a moment I was delusional when I saw Fray. This time she wasn't bleeding or looked like she had just been beaten up, she sat in the chair in the hallway swiping through her phone. She looked good. Their hair was tied back, and the muscle shirt she wore showed off their toned arms.