26 | Summer Flowers

Several weeks had passed by, and the summer months were finally drawing closer to their end. As the insufferable heat began to cool down with the oncoming autumn breeze, Irene found herself waiting excitedly for the end of the season.

Why? Because the annual summer festival was finally here.

In Laydel, the end of a season marked the celebration of a new beginning. And the end of summer was something that everyone looked forward to.

A custom among the common people here, was to decorate the streets with green ribbons and flowers, while producing stalls for food and games at low prices. The noble class would avoid this event, because it wasn't something people of their standing would attend.

However, with the permission of her mother, Irene was allowed to go, as long as Sir River and her brother Rayvis went along with her. Of course, they would be hiding their noble identities, and going only to enjoy themselves.

I've been so excited to attend this festival! Writing about it was my favourite part of the story! She beamed to herself, anticipating all of the delicious food and prizes she could win from the stalls.

Festivals were always something she would attend even in her previous life. Although she would always be by herself, the atmosphere was so lively and the people so happy; it made her feel at ease.

But the delicious foods were her favourite part.

As she made sure to dress in the plainest of clothes she had, her nanny prepared her little bag - organising her coins into the money pouch as Irene flitted around cheerfully.

"Oh! Look at this, My Lady," Joanne beamed, producing two shining silver coins. As Irene stepped toward her, she noticed the pennies had a unique pattern engraved onto them. It appeared that they had the image of a rose, different from the usual coins with the late emperor's side profile.

"These are extremely rare! If I recall, there are only two coins of this kind in the whole empire!" Joanne beamed. "They're very valuable. I think you should keep them!"

Irene gasped, amazed. She never knew the empire had any rare coins. And for them both to be in her possession, what were the chances?

Even so, she felt that there was no need for her to keep both. Irene took the coins, and placed one into the pouch she would be taking with her. "I'll keep one of them! And I'll let the other one into the world," she beamed. "After all, coins are meant to be passed on, right? There's no reason for me to keep both."

Joanne chuckled softly, petting the girl's hair. "Well, that is interesting. They are your coins, so you can do whatever you like with them, My Lady!"

Just then, the door of her bedroom clattered open after a knock, and both Irene and Joanne looked over to see a boy with clear blue eyes, peeping his head around the door.

"Rene! Are you done preparing?" Rayvis asked as he entered her room, his silver hair concealed by a hooded cloak. In his arms, he carried another cape of the same kind.

"Yes! I'm ready to go!" As Irene nodded excitedly, her golden eyes were glistening. She looks so excited... Rayvis thought, smiling warmly.

He approached her, and gently unfolded the cloak in his arms, draping it over her shoulders and securely tying it up. "You need to keep this on, so we don't look like nobles, okay? Make sure you keep the hood up."

"Okay!" She beamed, before taking Rayvis' hand. He smiled at his sister, as she took her bag and turned to her nanny.

"Then, we'll be going now, Joanne!" Irene said, the exuberant sparkle in her golden eyes eliciting a chuckle from the woman.

"Yes! Have fun and stay safe, My Lady."

After Rayvis and Irene made their way down to the foyer, they noticed River waiting for them with two other figures beside him. Irene recognised them as guards she saw around the duchy, and it seemed they were receiving instructions from her teacher. Since he was a mage of high position now, River's authority was enough for him to give guards orders.

As the siblings approached, River noticed Irene and Rayvis nearing him, before stepping forward. "You're here," He smiled faintly, rounded glasses shining under the light as he gently tugged his hood upwards. "Then, shall we get going?"

Rayvis nodded, before glancing at the knights. "Seth, Arnold. Be sure to keep an eye on Irene from a distance. If something happens you must keep her safe." He instructed with a cool and calm demeanour. Irene hadn't really noticed it until now, but it seemed Rayvis was starting to become more and more like Rudien - but in a good way.

As expected of the son of that scary duke... Irene smiled. My brother sure is cool... Sometimes.

It wasn't long until the group set out for the festival. Irene was excited to be going out on her first excursion, and was happy to have her brother and teacher accompanying her. They had very few guards with them, but it didn't matter - because Rayvis was already a skilled swordsman, and River was adept in combat magic.

They took a plain carriage toward the town square, where the festival was taking place. As they waited to reach their destination, Irene sat beside River, while her brother began to yammer on about her safety.

"Make sure you stay in my line of sight, okay?" He told her. "There are a lot of bad men that might try to snatch you away. You have to stay near me so that I can beat them to a pulp, okay?"

Irene sighed. "Yes, brother..."

"Oh- and if you do get approached and I'm not there, make sure you run and find me as soon as possible!"

"Yes, I know! I'll do just that."

River scoffed in amusement, as he noticed Irene's irritated expression. "He's just worried about you," he told her, and she glanced at him to see his thin red lips curling upwards slightly. "My older brothers would nag me like this too. Just pretend to listen and nod along."

Irene chuckled softly, deciding to take his advice as Rayvis continued to go on and on. It was only once they had finally arrived at the festival, that he stopped at last.

Once they alighted the carriage, Irene called forth Snow to also keep watch for her, and so that he too, could experience the festival. He complained about it at first, saying something like "why would I want to enjoy a boring human event?" but was quick to separate from the group when seduced by the smell of food.

The town square was lively, filled to the brim with people. Food stalls and games lined the streets, and under the pale sunset, people's faces shone animatedly with smiles. Music filled the air and opalescent colours swayed in Irene's vision. It was a beautiful sight to behold.

The rest of that evening was a blur. Irene and her companions had ventured through the festival, playing multiple games and eating many delicious snacks.

In one of the games, where they had to throw tin cans off a distant table, Rayvis singlehandedly knocked down even the cans that were rigged to stay upright - seizing all the prizes and making the stall owners jeeringly congratulate him.

Irene couldn't help but be amazed by her brother's overwhelming talent. I knew he was amazing, but not this amazing. Maybe I made Rayvis a little too strong when writing the novel...

Meanwhile, River would secretly use magic to win his games, but he couldn't escape the watchful eyes of his student. After shooting a dart onto the bullseye with a flare of mana embedded into it, Irene's brows narrowed.

"Sir River, that's cheating." She told him with a disapproving look, but he would turn his head and pretend to not hear. This guy... Irene wanted to laugh, surprised to see this sneaky side of him. He always seems so prim and proper, but even he can be a pretty sore loser.

Meanwhile, River sighed softly to himself. I'm sorry you have to see this side of me, My Lady. But the truth is, unless I use magic, I'll never win.

   Because my luck is terrible. He thought, with a slight scowl on his face.