Chapter 10.3 (Part 1)

The masked ball given by Lady Penhurst was set to be one of the highlights of an early glittering Season. Her ladyship had spared no expense. Her ballroom was draped in white satin and the terraces and trellised walks with the Penhurst House was lavishly endowed were lit by thousands of Greek lanterns. The music of a small orchestra drifted down from the minstrels' gallery, the notes falling like petals in the gloriously covered heads of the ton. By decree, all the guests wore long dominos, concealing their evening dress, hoods secured over the ladies' curls to remove even that hint of identity. Fixed masks concealing the upper face were the order, far harder to penetrate than the smaller and often more bizarre hand-held masks, still popular in certain circles for flirtation. By eleven, the Penhurst ball had been accorded the ultimate accolade of being declared a sad crush and her ladyship retired from her position by the door to join in the revels with her guests.

   Felix, wary of the occasion and having yet to divine the younger Flemings' secret aim, had taken special note of his wards' dresses when he arrived at Twyford House to escort them to the ball. Margaret he would have no difficulty in detecting; even if her domino in a subtle shade of aqua had not been virtually unique, the effect her presence had on him, he had long ago noticed, would be sufficient to enable him to unerringly find her in a crowded room blindfold. Sophia, looking slightly peaked but carrying herself with the grace he expected of a Fleming, had flicked a moss-green domino over her satin dress which was in a paper shade of the same colour. Maribella had been struggling to settle the hood of a delicate rose-pink domino over her bright curls while Emma's her grey eyes had watched from the depths of her lavender hood. Satisfied he had fixed the particular tints in his mind, Felix ushered them forth.

   On entering the Penhurst ballroom, the three younger Flemings melted into the crowd but Margaret remained beside Felix, anchored by his hand under her elbow. To her confusion, she found that one of the major purposes of a masked ball seems to be to allow those couples who wished to spend an entire evening together without creating a scandal to do so. Certainly, her guardian appeared to have no intention of quitting her side.

   While he musicians were tuning up, she was approached in a purposeful manner by a grey domino, under which she had no difficulty in recognizing the slight frame of Mr. Chistlebury. The poor man was it entirely sure of her identity and Margaret gave him no hint. He glared at the tall figure by her side, which resulted in a slow, infuriating grin spreading across that gentleman's face. Then, as Mr. Chistlebury cleared his throat preparatory to asking the lady in the aqua domino for the pleasure of the first waltz, Felix got in before him.

   After her second waltz with her guardian, who was otherwise behaving impeccably, Margaret consented to a stroll about the rooms. The main ballroom was full and salons on either side took up the overflow. A series of interconnecting rooms made Margaret's head spin. Then, Felix embarked on a long and involved anecdote which focused her attention on his masked face and his wicked dancing eyes.

   She should, of course, have been on her guard, but Margaret's defenses against her dangerous guardian had long since fallen. Only when she passed through the door he held open for her, and discovered it led into a bedroom, clearly set aside for the use of any guests overcome by the revels downstairs, did the penny drop. As she turned to him, she heard the clock of the lock falling into its setting. And then Felix stood before her, his eyes alight with an emotion she dared not define. That slow grin of his, which by itself turned her bones to jelly, showed in the shifting light from the open windows.

   She put her hands on his shoulders, intending to hold him off, yet there was no strength behind the gesture and instead, as he drew her against him, her arms of their own accord slipped around his neck. She yielded in that first instant, as his lips touched hers, and Felix knew it. But he saw no reason for undue haste. Savouring the feel of her, the taste of her, he spin out their time, giving her the opportunity to learn of each pleasure as it came, gently guiding her to the chaise by the windows, never letting her leave his arms or that state of helpless surrender she was in.