a fall from forgiveness

As we pulled into the compound, Dabi drove past the parked cars and directly to the front door, parking the still-running car and hopping out. He ran to my side of the car and opened the door, quickly and roughly helping me out of the car as I clutched our food to my chest. He slammed my door shut as I stepped back, watching as he pulled my things from the trunk of his car. He placed my backpack gently into the top of the half-full box before tossing my duffle bag to me. It hit the ground at my feet - he stared at me blankly for a moment before I crouched down and picked it up with my free hand. He lifted the box and cradled it with one arm as he popped the rolling handle of my travel suitcase, slamming his trunk shut before grabbing the suitcase again and walking towards me.

I followed him back to the door, where we paused briefly as he swiftly punched in a code to unlock the door. He opened one of the double-doors open with his shoulder, holding it open with his body as he gestured me through by cocking his head. I tiptoed back inside the League's headquarters, trying to fight the return of that sad, sick, sinking feeling as I passed by Dabi.

As the door slammed shut behind me, my stomach did a little flip. The time I'd just spent outside of this god forsaken fucking building was starting to feel less like an apology or treat and more like some kind of psychological punishment. "I could have been crawling onto my bed with this bowl of ramen and watching a movie," I thought to myself, "We could have been cuddled up-"

We? We? What do I mean, we?

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I whispered to myself as we walked down the hallway, turning towards the right wing of the building.

"What was that, mouse?" Dabi grunted out, puzzled. "What did you say?"

"Oh, I," I stammered, "I'm thinking out loud, it was nothing-"

"What are you thinking about so intensely that you've got to have a team meeting about it?" His voice danced with amusement and a twinge of malice. He picked up speed, catching up next to me as the wheels on my suitcase clicked loudly.

Quickly, quickly; "The...the ramen. It's my favorite. It's been a while."

I glanced up as he let out a gravelly chuckle. "I'm glad I could make things up to you."

"If that's what you want to call it," I thought to myself, chewing on the inside of my cheek so as not to let the word vomit almost get me in trouble with him again.

We continued on in silence as we approached the elevator. I went to reach out to press the button to Dabi's floor as he did, yanking my hand away as he pressed the button. Our eyes locked as he furrowed his brows ever so slightly, scanning my face with those intense, fluorescent blue eyes of his. He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something but slowly closed it as the elevator rumbled to a stop and opened. He shimmied in front of the elevator door as I skittered into the elevator, trying not to bump into me as we went in.

I stared into my own foggy reflection as the elevator rose, my stomach nervously flipping and turning. I could feel Dabi staring at me again. He snorted as my breath audibly hitched in my chest as the elevator finally stopped.

As we turned to get off the elevator, we took two steps into the hallway before a raspy, gargled giggle rang out from the darkness. We whipped around to see an entertained Spinner, padding towards us in red-checked pajama pants and a black wife beater. "What's going on over here?" He croaked out, his voice thick with sleep. "You moving in or am I still dreaming?"

"I'm tired of her wearing my clothes," Dabi said coolly, motioning with his head for me to turn back around and head towards the apartment, "went on a little chaperoned trip to get some of her own things."