𝐎𝐍𝐄

ONE weekend getaway 

ONE 
weekend getaway 

HOUSTON, TEXAS 

Amidst the beige color brick house's backyard, a delightful gathering unfolded. Inside and outside, guests mingled, while the gentle melodies of soft jazz wafted through the air. The music was just loud enough to be heard by the attendees, yet considerate enough not to disturb the slumbering neighbors. Warm white twinkle lights adorned the trees, casting a serene glow across the yard, while also adorning the porch. The ambiance was truly tranquil.

Jasmine stood next to her mother, who was engaged in a conversation with a small group of individuals. Meanwhile, she quietly enjoyed sipping on the sparkling, transparent liquid in her glass.

Parties like these were a regular occurrence, happening every few weeks. This time, it was her mother's responsibility to host the party. There wasn't any particular reason for these gatherings, other than to have a good time with free drinks and food while engaging in random conversations.

Jasmine never found these parties enjoyable. In fact, they were quite bothersome. She had to put on a fake smile and engage in conversations with people she couldn't care less about. The only people she knew were her so-called friends, who were only there because their parents made them, not because they genuinely wanted to be present.

Jasmine stood at the table, barely engaged in the conversation. Despite her attempts to appear interested with a polite smile, she wasn't truly invested. The others didn't seem to notice or care, but it didn't faze her like it once did. Her nonchalant demeanor revealed just how many times she had experienced this before.

"Jasmine. You've been a busy lady lately. You have to be excited about the things your mother has planned for you." 

She was ignored half of the time, why we're they talking to her now? Don't try to include her now. She was glad when they ignored her, it actually did her a favor and saved her from talking to them. 

But when they spoke to her like now, she had no choice but to speak or else it would seem like she was being rude. 

The corner of Jasmine's lips turned upward into a soft close lipped smile. "Of course. I'm very excited about it all but also grateful too." 

All it took was a few words and a smile and everyone bought it. She was pretty sure she could have been an actress with her small performance she put on during these parties. 

"You better be. She couldn't have done it without me, anyway."  Brenda spoke with a chuckle at the end of her words. 

Of course her mother never failed to reminded people she couldn't have done nothing if it weren't for her.

 It was true though. She wouldn't have did of what she did if it weren't for her mother. 

Jasmine listened to some parts of their conversation hearing her career being brought up. Whenever it was something about her career, she somehow never got any say in it whatsoever. They always discussed her career, just never with her.