Chapter 36:

Thomas jolted upwards. A pain shot through his right shoulder and he gasped as he grabbed onto it. His teeth clenched together.

Suddenly someone's hand-warm and gentle-wrapped around his.

It had to be Brenda's. Who else would it be?

He turned his head to look over.

''Alex?'' Maybe he wasn't seeing right.

"It's okay, I'm here," she whispered.

Instinctively he reached up and brushes her fingers along Alex's face,

''Is this really you?''

Something was wrong.

Something has to be wrong.

''Listen Thomas, they will try and tear us apart, and they'll never stop''

''No, they're not going to tear us apart. What are you talking about?''

But Thomas vision started to become blurry and suddenly it felt as she was slowly drifting away.

He tried to reach with his hand to her; the pain in his shoulder intensified but she just seems far away now. Her presence slipped away...

No.

It took a few seconds to focus and a look of horror spread across his face.

Two people, dressed in one-piece, baggy and dark green-with some kind of gas mask were leaning towards him.

Wait what?

"Can you hear me?" one of them asked. A woman.

''Where is she?'' Thomas asked; his throat incredibly sore. The woman glanced to the other person but didn't say anything in response to Thomas question.

"Are we sure she is not screwing anything up?''

"Look, Alex is by far one of the best viable Candidates and responds really good to the Variables'' This from a man. ''And we already made a we made a huge exception by saving her from the bullet''

''I know, WICKED will do what it has to when necessary."

He dozed off.

Was was that all about?