Rakshabandhan_A Chavan Parivar TS_Part 1

For the first time since almost a year, the residents of Chavan Niwas were having a quiet Sunday morning. Smiling as she sat gracefully on the three-seater sofa in their living room, Bhavani turned towards one of the dearest of her nephews.

She found Virat - the most sensible, mature, and wise of the younger Chavans; in her opinion - sitting on the sofa on her right with his cheeks childishly inflated like a balloon. His gaze was burning a hole in one corner of the coffee table, with such intensity he glared at it.

His wife, the jungle mulgi, was looking at him with concern visible to all eyes. What was wrong?

She nudged Ninad, who was seated on another sofa on her left. He withdrew his nose from the newspaper he was reading; slightly exasperated, he addressed Bhavani with a look of annoyance. He realised who had interrupted him and adjusted his features from those of annoyance to those of respect and obedience. She gestured him to look at his son with her eyes. He followed her instruction and then turned to shrug before her. Annoyed, she directed him to call for Mohit, who stood just beside him.

Ninad sighed and turned to call Mohit. He tapped on Mohit's arm twice, breaking his trance. When Mohit inquired the reason for which he was interrupted, Ninad pointed at Bhavani. Mohit raised his eyebrows, wondering what Bhavani wanted to taunt him about today, but nevertheless turned to her. Bhavani gestured him to check on his older brother. Surprised though he was at having received no taunt, he turned towards Virat. He, too, found him sulking. The difference was, though, that he knew the reason; but for peace's sake more than any thing else, he shook his head towards Bhavani. She fixed him with a glare, but he gestured how helpless he was, so she asked him to nudge his wife, Karishma, who stood beside him, hands folded across her lap.

With her raised eyebrows, Karishma asked him for what did he nudge her. He shook his head and gestured towards Bhavani. Bhavani hit her palm to her face silently and looked up to jab her thumb towards Virat whilst she glared at Karishma.

Karishma looked at Virat for a while, puzzled, then at Sai, who was standing beside him. She walked towards her sister-in-law, entirely ignoring Bhavani's impatient, yet silent calls.

She knocked her finger on Sai's shoulder, and then waited for her to respond, swinging to and fro on her heel. Sai tucked a flowing lock behind her ear and turned towards Karishma. "Kya hua?" she whispered. Karishma pointed towards Virat. "Virat sir?" Sai asked. Karishma nodded, then pointed towards Bhavani.

Bhavani had had enough of these kids' failing attempts. "Virat, kya hua hai tujhe? Aise muh fula ke kyun baitha hai?"

But Virat didn't even move, let alone respond. Fuming at his disobedience, she addressed his wife and said, "Aye jungli mulgi, tera pati aise muh fula ke kyun baitha hai? Tujhe pata bhi hai?"

"Sai ko kyun nahi pata hoga?" responded Ashwini, from the kitchen, before Sai could even open her mouth. "Kyun, bada? Pata hai na? Bata do," she said to Sai.

"Aai, woh... yeh..."

"Woh, yeh ke aage bhi aap kabhi kuchh bolengi, Devi ji?" Omkar asked, stretching his back in a more comfy niche on the sofa.

Surprisingly, Sai did not respond to that. Ignoring it, she helplessly looked at Bhavani.

"Tujhe bilkul bhi parwah nahi na apne pati ki? Kyun muh fula ke baitha hai, pata bhi hai?" Bhavani snapped at her.

"Bhavani vahini," Mansi gestured her to calm down. "Sai, beta, bata do na."

"Bua... woh-
Mohit!"

"Kya?" everyone - save for Virat - chorused.

"Mohit!" she exclaimed again, addressing the person in question. "Aap bata dijiye sabko... ki Virat sir kyun..."