Epilogue

One Length Later

The usual waves that crashed against the sand were subdued, almost as if they had sensed Theo's intention to take a dip into the water. She had waded out into the ocean until her feet were lifted from the sand and she was floating. A gentle push and pull from the small waves that lapped onto the shore had caused her to drift slightly but she didn't push against the current. Her back was turned to the shore, facing the horizon as she basked in the sun that beamed down from the sky. She was at peace, a momentary respite from the constant obligations she had. She never wanted to get out, knowing that once she did, she was back to having the weight of the world on her shoulders.

The sounds of the ocean that filled her ears were not loud enough to cover up the fact that someone had emerged onto the beach with her. Boots crunched under wet sand, alerting her that she was not alone; but she didn't turn around. Theo instead closed her eyes and sunk herself into the water, pushing the air out of her chest. The bubbles rose to the surface as she dropped down. She sat neatly at the bottom of the ocean, legs crossed over each other, for a minute. Then her lungs screamed at her to breathe. Theo was forced to push up off the ocean floor and she shot through the surface taking a gulp of air as she did.

When she emerged, she was facing the shore and she wiped some of the seawater out of her eyes to find Xyra standing at the edge of the water with a stack of papers in her hands. Theo began to swim herself to shore, taking her time as she did it. Xyra didn't break her stare as she followed Theo's journey back to dry land.

"You here to bring me good news?" Theo asked as she began to exit the water.

"Perhaps it will not be for you, but I do bring good news," Xyra nodded.

"They are here, aren't they?" Theo groaned, "I was hoping for a few more suns of peace and quiet."

"Well, I apologize that you were inconvenienced," Xyra shrugged, not looking very sorry at all, "the last of the ships have arrived at the outskirts of the reef. We are tendering them all in now. Should be a few hours before they are all here."

"I'm cross with you, by the way," Theo walked to her stuff that was laid out on the sand and slipped on a shirt.

"Because?"

"You were the one with this brilliant idea."

"I was not, actually," Xyra reminded, "Cooker was the one that convinced you to take the meeting with the rebellion, and then you were the one that insisted this should be done here."

"Aye, I suggested a meeting with potential stakeholders be held here but you were the one that increased my original list of people tenfold," Theo shot back.

"Your pension for the dramatic has risen as of late," Xyra rolled her eyes, "I increased your original list by perhaps a quarter."

"A quarter too many," Theo mused and Xyra laughed a bit.

"I do not understand why you agree to our suggestions if you are just going to complain about it the whole time," Xyra said with a raised eyebrow.

"Because it was a good idea on your part," Theo grumbled, "but I'm not going to be happy about it. I would rather not have to deal with any of them. If we need their money and their ships, it might be easier just to kill them all for it."

"I agree but that would get our fight for fairness, less brutality and equality off to a bad start," Xyra let out a sympathetic chuckle.

"I know," Theo sighed, "can you carry me back? Just to make it all a little easier for me. Given I have such a big responsibility to carry out in the next few suns."