Chapter 80

Musical inspiration: No – Shakira (ft. Gustavo Cerati)

"Mistress, I really think you should go talk to your First Lady. Lord Lucifer is very displeased with your erratic behaviour and with all due respect, playing volleyball with heads isn't going to help your situation..."

"Erratic?", Lilith huffed glancing threateningly at minion from the corners of her eyes, "If you weren't the only one I can talk to you'd be more than just dead by now."

"I appreciate that, mistress", he bowed his head.

Lilith let out a sound that was somewhere between a sigh and a growl as she accepted the truth minion was speaking. She had to confront Zelda sooner or later, and she still had today mostly free since Lucifer thought she was on a trip through the circles.

"Okay, I'm off to Earth then", she informed minion, which sounded almost like an accusation due do the agitated undertone.

Manifesting in Zelda's office, Lilith immediately spotted her rose even before noticing Zelda on the floor. In her defense, Zelda was not someone you would expect to casually lie down on the floor just for the jokes of it. For a moment, Lilith was concerned though, fearing she might have fainted again (which was partially true since Zelda had passed out but was awake again by now).

"Zelda? What are you doing? Are you okay?"

Lilith was standing at the level of Zelda's head, seeing she was awake now as Zelda rolled her eyes back to see who had called her.

"Lilith?", she snorted, "You coming to fuck me and leave again?", Zelda joked bitterly with no intention of getting up.

The demoness sighed, put her hands on her hips and asked what she already knew. "Are you drunk Zee?"

Zelda grinned provocatively widely. "And if?"

"Then this conversation is going to be harder than it would have been anyway."

Her witch did not even have the slightest notion of how serious the situation was and looked as innocent as she could possibly do in this state. "Whatever do you mean", her head rolled to the side, "Can I get a kissy-kissy, I missed you", she whined like a kid with pouted lips.

Lilith was growing impatient and had no interest in Zelda's canned shenanigans. She squatted beside Zelda, cupped her chin and turned her face to establish eye-contact.

"Why don't you ask your precious voodoo skank?", she hissed through gritted teeth, making sure her sharp breath reached Zelda's face.

Her witch's eyebrows drew together, eyes widening and her smile turning into anxiously pursed lips.

"You know?", she uttered with a cracked voice as Lilith squeezed her chin once more before letting go harshly and standing up again, turning her back towards Zelda.

"I came to apologise."

"So, the rose was from you?" Zelda propped herself up on her forearms, this time with more success.

Lilith remained silent – enough of a confirmation for Zelda – and thought about what she wanted to hear from Zelda. Marie had told her how her girlfriend was not completely guilty, but she was not innocent either. She had trouble containing her anger but there was no use exhausting herself by raging at a drunk.

"Why?"

Zelda managed to get herself in a more upright position with her legs half tucked under her bottom supporting herself with one arm. Lilith could not face her, could not see Zelda's trembling bottom lip that would have pulled on her heartstrings for sure – it always did.