chapter 2

Hughes and Ruiz were at the front of the group, running down the steps and into the street to safety. Miller was right behind them and Bishop not too far behind him.

Her steps began to drag and her anxiety was beginning to rise. She felt light-headed and dizzy, like the whole room was spinning around her. She had some intense pain in her chest and she felt extremely shaky, like she couldn't even control it.

Why do these steps feel like they are going on forever?

Ruiz broke through the door with a kick, helping Hughes out of the door frame, Miller following in her footsteps, not wasting a single second.

As they were running out of the threshold to the trucks, they heard Andy scream.
"Where's Bishop?"

Just seconds after those words fell from Andy's mouth and the team turning around to see Maya had been missing, an explosion occurred.

"BISHOP!! Do you copy?" Andy yelled over the radio. "Bishop??"

Miller and Hughes both immediately began running to the building when flames engulfed the first floor.
Miller put his helmet back on and ran to find Bishop, who was face down on the ground right at the bottom of the steps. He grabbed her and held her as he carefully maneuvered away from the flames, getting them both to safety.

"Miller and Montgomery, get her to Grey Sloan, immediately, I don't care what you have to do," Andy said.

The rest of the team went back to their duties, helping diminish the flames and ensure the family's safety, no matter how concerned they were, they had a job to do.

Miller positioned Maya on the gurney and started taking her vitals while Montgomery hoped in the driver's seat, taking them to the hospital.

"What happened," Montgomery said.

"I don't know...I could tell she wasn't fine when we were rushing to get out, I should have done more," Miller said. "Her vitals look okay for right now though, it could just be smoke inhalation...we have to wait and see."

Maya began to open her eyes slightly. They were fluttering and she seemed very scared.

"Hey...hey, Bishop, you're in the AID car, we are taking you to Grey Sloan...you're going to be okay," Miller said.

"Carina...she, has to know I'm coming..." she said, coughing terribly in between her words.

She was in so much pain and she didn't have the strength to explain it. It felt like her brain was going to explode, her lungs were going to collapse and she could barely remember what happened before she fell.

"Andy is going to call...we are going to get you to her, I promise," Miller said.

"I'm...it hurts...so bad," Maya said.

As soon as she let out one large, concerning cough, her vitals started spiking, her pulse dropped significantly and she couldn't remain conscious.

"Bishop, hey! Stay with me here," Miller said.

"Captain we are close to Grey Sloan, we are going to need you to call and let them know we are coming in hot, Maya's pulse is dropping and she can't keep awake," Montgomery called over the radio.

Andy knew she had to call Carina, she didn't want to be the one to relay the news but she had to know before Maya arrived.

"Hey Carina, we are back from the scene and..."

"Where's Maya? Why are you..." Carina said.

"Carina...she...is on her way to Grey Sloan right now and she needs attention immediately," Andy said. "We are going to be there right behind the ambulance. We are coming too."

"Andy...no," Carina responded.