four (4)

june 24th

i didn't wake up until 11 and it felt great. simon and i woke up naturally around the same time for the first time in a while. he turned to me.

"hi."

i smiled.

"hi."

"did you sleep okay?"

"mhm. did you?"

"yep."

"good."

"good."

i kept trying to ignore the phone sitting next to me.

"just look at it. you won't feel normal until you do."

i sighed and picked it up.

MOM - missed call (58)

MOM - voicemail (34)

MOM - text message (25)

it's worse than i was expecting. i turned my phone to simon.

he laughed.

"she's insane."

"i know."

"you should just call instead of going through all of that."

i sighed.

"yeah."

i went into my contacts and simon stopped me before i pressed the call button.

"can you put it on speaker?"

"yeah."

i pressed the button and immediately put it on speaker. it didn't even ring once and she was screaming.

"how dare you do something like this and not ask my permission?! this was not something you can just decide you're doing, you have to-"

simon made a face at me.

"good morning to you too."

she stopped.

"wilhelm, what the hell were you thinking? just leaving like that is unacceptable and will not be to-"

"i didn't 'just leave'. i asked dad if i could go spend the night at my boyfriend's house and he said yes."

"how many times have i told you? would you stop using that word?"

"'boyfriend'? that's what he is, what else am i supposed to call him?"

"this will not last. you'll be coming to your senses soon."

simon rolled his eyes.

"mom! it's been seven fucking months! seven months and we've barely had 5 civil conversations because all you do is yell at me. i didn't do anything wrong! i didn't do anything i should be punished for! this is a part of my life that shouldn't even concern you at all, but everytime it's mentioned you have to pick it apart and shit on simon. just let me have a life."

she didn't say anything for a while. i'm sure she was thinking of another hurtful thing to say.

"wilhelm, you don't get to have that part. you get to have what the public wants you to have. you get to have what is best for the monarchy."

"don't give me that. you know it's not causing any problems. you know the kind of reactions we get. this has nothing to do with that. the only one who seems to have a problem with it is you. and why? why are you so against me being happy?"

i felt the anger stinging at my eyes.

"you have a meeting at 7 tomorrow, so you need to be home."