Chapter forty

"Call me immediately when you find him," I said to Mat

"No problem," I hung up the call and leaned back in my chair. I tapped my finger on the glass desk, trying to calm my nerves.

Mat called me to tell me that there was barely anything they've found regarding Damon or Adena. He vanished after leaving Italy.

There was nothing new on his case for the past three days and it began to frustrate me. The knock on the door disrupted me.

"Entra," I said, waiting to see who was knocking. I sure as hell wasn't expecting Nico to show up. He closed the door and walked over to the chair in front of my desk. "Didn't expect to see you here," he sat down, crossed his arms over his chest, and looked at me.

"I didn't plan to come here," I frowned. That could only mean one thing. He knew something.

"What do you know?"

"I reached out to one of my good friends in New York, who happens to live in the same building as Barlowe, and found out that he's there."

"And De?"

"Mathew told me that the most he's seen was him walking out of the elevator. He even greeted him and got a "good to see you" from Damon. But gladly, that piece of shit doesn't know that Mathew is one of my best men," I nodded. I've met Mathew a few times in the past and safe to say, I wasn't surprised that he was the best. He sure knew his way around tasks. "He accessed the cameras later that evening and saw a woman being carried out of the elevator. He sent the footage to me and I can confirm it was Adena," something heavy was lifted off my chest at the thought that her body was still there.

"And is she alive and still there?" Nico nodded, making me exhale some relief.

"You were supposed to have the meeting with him, right?" I slightly nodded.

"It's not going to happen. There's nothing that I could say to him apart from insulting him and possibly choking him if that was even possible," Nico shook his head.

"The meeting needs to happen. We need to negotiate future actions," I frowned.

"Are you serious? The only way he'd ever give De back is if Aella comes back to him. That's fucking it. And as much as I love you, Nico, there's no way in the hell of an Earth that I'd let that happen," his eyes roamed around the room. He was frustrated. "Besides, why did you help El with the plan?"

"What plan?"

"Oh come on. You agreed to help her run away," Nico nodded, fixating his gaze onto me.

"And it's a brilliant plan, fratello. She knows his place. She knows his weak spots. If she goes there, she could get De and manage to get out alive with her."

"And then what? We're back to hiding?" He stayed silent. "Because if I'm going to make a plan, it involves killing him for good. If we begin the operation, he'll die in the process. I can assure you that," there was no way that I would live like this forever.