Chapter 20

"Ryan," my mom said, reaching out to grab my hand from where it rested on the sofa between us, "did you really think we expected you to stay in Neptune Bay?"

It was a bit later in the afternoon, and after Sloane and I's impromptu—and incredibly hot—moment on the lookout, we'd hiked back down the trail only to pass by another couple ten minutes later. They'd nodded to us in acknowledgement, and much to my amusement, I'd immediately noticed the pop of color on Sloane's cheeks following the short interaction.

Catching my grin, she'd rolled her eyes and nudged my side. "Shut up," she mumbled once the couple was out of earshot, and I let loose a bark of laughter.

Driving back into town, I dropped her off at her place with a quick kiss and a promise to fill her in later tonight about how my conversation with my parents went.

Which was where I'd headed directly after. And considering Bowen had been playing outside with Scout when I'd arrived, I'd rolled right into business. Asking them to sit in their living room with me, I felt like I'd spooked them, but once I'd come straight out and told them I was planning to head back to Boston for training camp, any perplexity in their features disappeared, replaced by understanding.

Glancing between them—my mom next to me and my dad on the recliner—I slowly began to feel my nerves deplete. "I don't know." I shrugged. "I wouldn't say I expected it, but I thought maybe you were hoping I'd stick around."

A soft smile pulled at my mother's lips. "Every parent hopes their kids decide to blossom in the same town they live in, but with you, your father and I never had that thought in our heads. Not ten years ago, and not now. We want you to be happy. To support you as you live out your dream. And while you could likely build a life here, you would be tossing away your own aspirations and goals regarding hockey to do so, which is something we don't want you to do."

"Your mother's right, son," my dad chimed in. "We're so proud to watch you on the ice year after year, doing what has always come naturally to you. Doing what you excel at. We never, not even for a second after everything that's happened, thought you'd be ready to give that up."

"Really?" I asked, swallowing down the emotion in my throat. They both nodded. "You're not mad?"

"Mad at what?" my mom asked. "Mad that you're going back to the job you've worked your whole life for next month? Mad that you've somehow taken every obstacle life's thrown your way these past couple of months and still figured out a way to stand on your own two feet?"

I rolled my eyes before raking my fingers through my hair. "I was thinking more along the lines of the fact I'd be taking Bowen to Boston with me."

"Well, now I can definitely admit that it'll be a change, after being right there, watching him grow up all these years," my mom replied, her eyes lining with tears as memories no doubt flooded her mind, "but he'll be with you. Liam and Thea knew what they were doing naming you as his guardian, because while you may not have thought so a month ago, you truly were the best person to fill those shoes. You love that boy with all your heart, and would do anything for him, as evidenced from the fact you were apparently considering retiring from the sport you love."