Bonus Chapter II

Dylan looked tiredly at the pink table, a row of rectangular pieces were all formed in line, like soldiers ready for battle. It was the third pastry shop they visited, so far, Mrs. Kendall had not like any of the other shops. Regina sat beside him, also looking deflated at the cakes in front of her.

"The last few shops, the cakes were too dry and too sweet, we need something that is light, fluffy and nice on the palate." Mrs. Kendall explained to the baker, who was excitedly nodding.

It was a Kendall wedding, and the word had gotten out faster than a wildfire. Regina had not lied to him when she told him about their status among the people in the city.

Mrs. Kendall delicately took her fork, and cut a piece of the cake before stabbing it and putting it on her mouth. She made a few faces, first as if she was thinking, and then there was a smile that spread through her lips. Dylan looked at her intently. She had made the same facial expression in the past few shops, and he wasn't going to be fooled by her anymore.

"This is exceptional." She finally said, as she took another bite. She motioned for Dylan and Regina to have some of theirs.

Regina nodded. She had wanted the day to be over from the moment that it had begun.

It's not even real, she thought to herself as she brought the piece of cake to her mouth. That thought had filled her mind every time she began to feel hopeful and happy, it was the thought that kept her in check. The cake was fluffy, and moist but really no different from the cake of the other two shops they had previously visited.

Dylan took a bite of the cake, and nodded. It was good. A cake his mother would approve of. He felt a bit of nostalgia as he thought of her. He had not called her yet. He was sure that he'd probably get a call from his parents as soon as Jaxon told them the news.

"How is it?" Mrs. Kendall asked.

Dylan nodded, "It's good enough for me, what do you think?"

Regina nodded, "I think it's good."

Mrs. Kendall nodded, "The texture is good, and the flavor is good as well. The chocolate is not sweet enough that it overpowers you and leaves you thirsty. I think we will take this one."

The baker nodded, and both Dylan and Regina sighed. It was finally over.

After they left the shop, Mrs. Kendall looked at both of them with a sympathetic smile. "I think that I shall go now; I'll let you two have some time as a couple. Let's meet for dinner at the house."

Dylan nodded. There was really no escaping Mrs. Kendall. As soon as the woman left, Regina quickly let go of Dylan's hand. She had been feeling a tingling in her hand, and she was afraid that he'd notice how nervous she really felt. Dylan, though, was oblivious.

He walked beside her and looked curiously at the shops nearby. He hadn't had the chance to visit or tour the city, even when he was unemployed. It perplexed him that he had never really had the urge to go out and explore. "I wonder why I never actually thought about it." he muttered.

"Huh?" Regina said, looking over at him.

"Sorry," he muttered shyly, looking down," I was just thinking out loud."

Regina looked at him curiously. "About what?"

Dylan was always so reserved, but there were times when his walls would crumble and he'd say something silly and completely take her by surprise. Dylan didn't meet her gaze as he answered her question. 

"I never visited or toured the city."

Regina chuckled. "You were always busy cleaning and looking at your computer, maybe you were too preoccupied with getting a job."