twenty one

Imraan's POV,
"I love you Meher!"

I finally told her how I feel and yes, I was expecting that shocked reaction of hers so I went on gazing into her eyes reflecting my heart to her.

"I... don't know when or how but it just happened. Your innocence, your sincerity pulled me towards you, I started noticing the side of you that maybe everyone else ignored. Your smile, your tears, your fear and anxiety, I saw it all and at some point it started affecting me and my heart. The only thing I could think of was making you happy and to be able to be by your side. Even just a single day without you was agonising and I....just wanted to take away all your fears and pain but I don't know where I failed to protect you. You're beautiful Meher, both inside out and you've touched my heart in a way I just ... cannot put on words. Not just mine but my parents too." I smiled.
"You know how mercilessly they both tease me? They've already considered you as their future daughter in law."
I gulped.
"When I found out what you did, I just lost my mind. I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, heck I couldn't even breath properly. I was dying to see you and I came everyday but your brother didn't allow me to see you and I was just soo scared.... I wanted to see you soo badly, to tell you how I feel about you Meher. I love you and .....I want to marry you. Not now, but someday. When my parents will be proud of me and I'll be capable of making you happy and giving you a good life. When I can proudly ask your hand in marriage after I buy us a new house and get a proper job. I want to build a future, a family as beautiful as you Meher....."

"No." I was taken aback seeing the horrified look on her face. Did I say something wrong...or maybe too much.

"Um... sorry to startle you like that. Family and marriage can wait, we're still young but what I feel for you is all real but I'm not forcing my feelings on you. You can take as much time as you want to think over it. Days, months even years...."

"NO! No Imraan!!!" She yelled making me flinch.
"This is wrong! You Cannot love me ... i...it's wrong!" She was trembling.

"Meher calm down...."
I tried to hold her but she pushed me and got away as if I would hurt her but of course I couldn't.
"Meher...."

She was shaking her head hysterically as if she was in a fit, her reaction was scaring me.

"This is wrong....no one can love me. It's all a lie ....I....no.....no one loves me ....no one can...." She was muttering in her own daze whilst trembling.

"Meher but I do love you ...." I tried to make her believe but she just wouldn't listen.
"Meher please....calm down.... Meher...."

"No no no no..... it's a sin ....no never...." her breathing turned uneven as if she was terrified.

"Falling in love is not a sin Meher. There is no way I'll do anything wrong with you. So please calm down...." I tried to hold her to calm her but,

"You need to stop. I can never love you Imraan.... please no!"
She said and giving me one frightened look she ran away breaking my heart into a million pieces and leaving me frozen.

#####
Azlaan's POV,
Regret is like a shadow that follows and haunts you until you receive any salvation or forgiveness. However, I think I'll never be able to get any salvation from the regret I feel for breaking an innocent girl the way I did.

I laid on my bed as my body didn't had any strength in it. I just wanted to lay down staring at the white ceiling pointlessly as my heart and mind had decided to haunt me with the horrible memories of hurting my wife.

I saw her today and the look in her eyes for me was soo....cold and strange as if she didn't even know me. Why didn't she tell the police about me? My body still ached a bit from when Mazhar bhai took out his anger at me. He should've hit me more, yet, even then what I did to Meher couldn't be compensated.