Chapter 23 - The Gods and Their Game

"Oh come on, it's no big deal," Ares dodged his mother's complaint.

"No big deal you say? Bringing humans to Olympus is an offense. Besides, you picked up that girl by announcing your status as the god of war, Ares!" Hera responded angrily.

"This is my first marriage, Goddess Hera. At least I want to do it in a civilized way." Ares confirmed his stance.

Goddess Hera arrived late, dinner had just finished but the guests knowingly dispersed. They noticed Goddess Hera that came with angry faces. Ares' followers had returned to their residences.

Ares led Hera to a closed room and asked Alastair to stand guard outside with his wife. By now Jill had put her ear to the door but she couldn't hear anything. Disappointed at not being able to hear the drama that seemed to be exciting, she sat down on a granite bench at the front of the room, propping her chin up. She yawned because she was bored and sleepy. But she was worried that Ares would be angry if she went to her room first. She still had a hard time understanding Ares's fickle temperament.

"But why a human?! You can marry a Titan girl, haven't you been introduced to the Titan girl? The daughter of Kairos?"

"I will not marry the woman Zeus offered," Ares folded his arms firmly.

"So it's true, you do want to oppose your father!"

"Could it be true what Athena said, you were seeking Zeus' attention?" The Goddess continued, still nagging.

"What? No! Look, this was all beyond my plans. I'm not the only one to blame for this. Hermes proposed it. He took us on a bet to get the princess of sparta. This is just a game. It's just that Hermes made it so complicated!" Ares took a deep breath before explaining.

***

Dionysius Palace, about 2 months ago.

"Have you heard of it?" .Hermes began to speak while lining up the picture cards on a table. He also put some hand-carved dice into a carved wooden cup.

"What?" said Apollo half lazily. He just hugged his lyra without playing it and sat leisurely on Dionysius' sofa.

"The kingdom of Sparta is said to have a very beautiful princess," Hermes continued.

"I know, the so-called prettiest princess in Greece, right?" Apollo strummed the lyre and produced some rough notes.

"But not many have seen her, the king of Sparta didn't let her out of the palace, they said," Apollo continued.

Before Hermes could respond, there was a sound of a horse neighing in front of their lounge. Ares came riding his carnivorous black horse. He still carried his sword and spear. It was only after he went inside and was about to sit on the sofa—that he put his weapon where it was still visible.

Once every three months, several major gods of Olympus used to gather in one of their palaces. They were male gods who were sons of Zeus. Apollo, Hermes, Ares and Dionysius. It was a men's night that was usually filled with petty and sometimes a little naughty chatter and dice games.

"Sorry I'm late," Ares greeted before sitting down between Apollo and Hermes. He immediately grabbed the goblet filled with wine.

"That's my drink, Ares," Said Dionysius who had just come, followed by several nymphs carrying dishes in their hands.

"Oh, Sorry," Ares laughed.

"Why are you late?" Hermes rebuked.

Hermes was a handsome man. His hair was brownish blonde and slightly curly, He also had a well-proportioned posture. There were a few spots on his nose area that made him seem friendly.