5. Online forums

I never thought I'd ever see the need to run away from a fifty-year-old lady at my school

    I never thought I'd ever see the need to run away from a fifty-year-old lady at my school. But like the few months that's already passed my experiences at Goldwater Academy keep getting spontaneous.

During our flight, we rounded the hallway close to the cafeteria and Rosalind stopped in her tracks, breathlessly inclining against the wall.

"What the actual hell?" she said, her hands on her knees.

    I took one last glance in the direction we came from, and relaxed when I noticed Ms. Marks wasn't following us. I fanned the heat from my face and inhaled deeply. "You think she'll rat us out?"

"How can you be worried about getting caught when Mr. Kingsley just threatened to kill a student?" She whispered.

"He didn't say that Rosa!"

"Well, what the heck do you think handled meant?"

I groaned, itching the back of my head in confusion. "If we choose to believe that, then we're siding with Jeremiah."

    She straightened and tucked her red tendrils behind her hair. I noticed then that she had her hair cut a bit shorter. I thought it suited her heart-shaped face perfectly. Rosalind always seemed to be ready for a magazine shoot, despite her minimalist styles. Simple gold rings and necklaces wrapped around her skin elegantly and blended well with her uniform.

     Her perfectly trimmed brows pulled together in a worried expression while she stared at me. "About that... I could be wrong, but I think Jeremiah's uncle asked my mom to represent them."

My heart fell.

"What?"

"She hasn't accepted it but, Mr. Kingsley made her an offer as well, he called last night."

    When I thought it through, I realized I shouldn't be surprised. Eugene was the best in LA, that's why my dad had her become our Legal Aid officer. I frowned. "There's no way she can represent Jeremiah, and work for Starlight."

"Why not?"

"Because we partner with Kings legally...that would be a conflict of interest wouldn't it?"

Rosalind nodded. "I suppose that makes sense. Either way, I don't trust Mr. Kingsley, especially after that conversation."

    At least I could agree with her on that. I willed myself to not think the absolute worst, because if all this plays out in the worst way, then Duke won't be the only one affected. I'm literally engaged to the guy.

"How'd you know Duke was with him now though?"

"I followed him after our student body meeting," she answered, and as if on cue, a group of students appeared from down the hall. They were the rest of the executive body, and surprisingly, Duke was trailing behind them.