On Your Left

Rex was going for a jog. A peaceful morning jog around the capitol, just him and the early sunlight.

 Shadow still blanketed the land, daytime only reaching the tops of the tallest trees. Birds chirped and flitted about, and squirrels skittered across the grass from tree to tree as he passed them. He could see buildings in the distance - tall buildings, architecturally appreciative. Some, he could see not too far off from himself. Only the muffled sound of traffic in the distance could be heard; cars flying swiftly by, the morning rush already having passed. He hadn't seen any other runners. He'd been completely alone for most of the stretch of the path, the only human sounds being his feet hitting the concrete pavement. He hadn't even seen any of his brothers, which was surprising - they were usually the early birds, earlier than him. However, Rex would gladly let them sleep however long they needed - for this scene, he had to himself. And it was lovely. It was absolutely lovely. 

Until it wasn't. 

Behind him, he heard footsteps quickly approaching. Quicker than quick, actually. To Rex, it sounded like the person was sprinting as fast as they possibly could. His own pace hastened, trying to stay a good distance ahead of the person. However, it wasn't successful - soon enough, they were just behind him, however they still hadn't slowed down. Finally, just as they came up to pass him, they called out, "On your left!" 

Rex scoffed. Of course it was General Skywalker. "Good morning, sir!" Rex shouted, although Skywalker was already so far ahead of him Rex wasn't even sure he'd heard him. 

"Hustle, soldier!" Anakin yelled back, and he must've really had to yell. Rex shook his head with a lighthearted smile. 

He continued on with his jog, uninterrupted. 

Until it was interrupted. Again. 

A softer, quicker set of footsteps approached this time. Rex could barely hear them - they sounded more like a run or a jog than a sprint, more casual. However, they were still soon just behind him, and a voice he hadn't necessarily anticipated called out "On your left!" as they passed him on his left. Rex internally groaned.

"Good morning, sir," He shouted, slightly exasperated, as General Kenobi ran swiftly ahead of him. 

"Good morning, Rex. Lovely out, isn't it?" Obi-Wan yelled back, not even glancing at Rex, "Has Anakin passed you, by any chance?"

"Yessir, he just went around that bend up there," Rex pointed to the curve in the path still far ahead, where it bent through a row of tall larches, "I'm sure you could catch him if you tried." 

Rex thought he heard General Kenobi mutter "damn", and he almost had to pinch himself for hearing such a thing - Had Obi-Wan Kenobi swore? 

Just as Rex had convinced himself that those words would never leave the General's mouth in a million lightyears, and he was hearing things, Obi-Wan yelled back "Thank you, Rex!" and sprinted ahead after Skywalker. 

Once Rex began to think he was finally alone and in peace, a smaller, quicker, and lighter pair of footsteps echoed through the vast courtyard. He had been running here for what felt like forever now, and he was barely three-fourths of the way across. However, this person seemed to run the entire thing so quickly, it astounded Rex - they were at his back in a heartbeat. 

"On your left!" A young voice called, and Rex instantly knew who it was. 

Commander Tano.

Of course it was Commander Tano. Skywalker and Kenobi had already passed him, they wouldn't be complete without her to follow. 

She bolted past him, and Rex groaned. Out loud, this time. "You too, kid?"

"Not my fault you're slow! Keep up!" 

And then she was gone, too quick for him to shout anything back. So, he just groaned to himself again and quickened his pace, since he refused to be left behind. 

He finally made it to the other side of the courtyard; another pair of footsteps echoed behind him. Heavier, less rushed, more of a pattern than the others. More steady. Rex bet he knew who it was. 

"On your-" Rex cut him off before he could finish. 

"My left. Why is everyone on my left!?" He shouted with barely contained agitation. Cody appeared at his side, followed by a chorus of synced footsteps. Rex's heart dropped to his stomach.

Cody cocked a brow at him. "I don't think we can all be on your left, Rex." 

With wide eyes, Rex peered behind him. 

The entire Grand Army of the Republic must've been chasing him down; not only the 501st, but the 212th and parts of the 104th filled the courtyard, a sea of men as far as Rex could see. He swore he even spotted some other Jedi in there - namely Plo-Koon, Quinlan Vos and Kit Fisto, pacing one another and jogging with the crowd. 

Rex groaned.