04. Present Interests

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

bella notte
act i , distant memories
chapter four , present interests

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        "ELOISE, DO STOP GRUMBLING and be polite to the guests

"ELOISE, DO STOP GRUMBLING and be polite to the guests." Violet Bridgerton said under her breath, her words hidden behind a polite smile as more suitors passed them into the drawing room.

"There are not my guests." Eloise retorted, grimacing at the sight of the men as she quickly darted out into the hallway. "They're Daphne's."

"Eloise." Her mother warned, but her words fell on deaf ears as the second daughter ran out of the earshot.

Eloise kept her book in a tight grip, her lips contorted into an expression of disgust as she bypassed still more suitors in her attempt to find refuge.

But her search didn't last long as her eyes landed on a figure who was shrugging on a navy overcoat as he moved in the direction of the door, looking also to escape the chaos.

"Where are you going?" She called to Benedict who gave a light groan upon being spotted.

"For a stroll." He answered shortly, as he checked the buttons on the cuffs of his shirt.

"A stroll?" Eloise narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "You never stroll. What are you up to?"

"What does it look like?" The second brother gestured to the queue of suitors leading to the drawing room. "Our house is overrun with visitors, I'm anxious to avoid them."

Eloise let out a pained sigh at the sight before whipping back around and seizing her brother by the arm.

"Take me with you, I beg of you."