Chapter Nine - April 20 2013, Greensboro, North Carolina

“Oh my god Jin, do you think we will get to see a zombie!”   

Sometimes I am not sure if Michael realizes zombies are not pink fluffy kangaroos.  He is way too excited about them.  After spending sometime with him in the Van, I am starting to piece together more about why this blond hair, blue eyes, fourteen years old American computer genius ran from his billionaire parents to became a terrorist.  

“I don’t know, Michael, but seeing how we have another couple thousand miles to go, I’d say our odds are pretty good.”  

The really creepy part about Michael is how he actually had good parents.  His dad was some tech boom guy who sold his company for a couple hundred million dollars and his mom was a writer.  Evidently, they are home all the time.  From all the stories he has told, their downfall as parents was… caring.  How crazy is that.  When I asked Michael why he hated his parents, his answer was they always wanted to know what he was doing, and kept asking to join in to do it together.  That sounds like good parenting!  

“Well, I hope we see one.  I want to shoot one in the face.  I bet it won’t be anything like Left4Dead.” 

“Michael, these zombies are people.  They are just sick.”  Nabil seems upset.  

He keeps looking at the rearview mirror at Michael.  He needs to pay attention to the road is what he should be doing. We have been talking about zombies for like two hours now and it seems like everything Michael says annoyed Nabil.

From the passenger seat, I can see what the guys in the lead truck are doing.  Mo asked me to swap spot with Wassem after the truck stop incident.  He said he wanted to keep a closer eye on Wassem.  Or maybe he is talking with Wassem about me.  Did my kick-ass shooting at the gas station raised his suspicion?

“So what if they are people.  They are greedy Americans that deserve to die anyway.”  

What the fuck?   He told me last night while Nabil was sleeping that he loved being with the group because we treated him like an adult, not like his parents did.  I feel like Michael is one of those wayward kids who joins a gang because he feels like he found a place where he belongs.  The radical believes of Al Qaeda make him feel special, like he has some mission that others outside the organization won’t understand.  

“You know, Michael, just what did Americans did to you that makes you say that, huh?  They killed my family, and even I don’t think every fucking American deserves to die.  What is wrong with you!”   Nabil’s face is turning red.

I think the fatigue and the whole missing his wife thing is stressing Nabil out.

“Because I don’t think with my vagina like you do, Nabil.”  

Oh, snap, that was actually a pretty good comeback.  But I need to stop this from escalating.

“Alright boys, that is enough.  Neither of you know anything, okay?  American is a fucked up place, capitalism corrupted their minds.  Who knows who deserves to die.  The big guy upstairs will make that decision, if they deserve to die, then your bullet will strike them true, if they don’t, then it won’t.”    

Umm… I don’t even know what I just said meant.  Which is why it is brilliant!  Because I can see from both their faces that they both think I backed them up.

“Now apologize to Nabil, Michael.  He is your brother and we don’t disrespect our brothers.”

“Sorry, Nabil.”

“No problem, I am sorry too, Michael.  I didn’t mean to blow up at you.”

“No worries. We are bro’s, right?”