27)

FLASHBACK

Maci's POV

"I'm so bored, bitch!" Molly complained as we walked in the woods to our favorite spot.

"We're almost there! Calm down!" Steph yelled as she was giving Tristian a piggy-back ride.

"We're here!" We set up and set up the fire.

"So... what are we doing here?" Zed asked as he sits next to Carmen.

"To see the meteorite shower from this view, duh!" Cheyenne scoffed as she lays down on her blanket.

"When it will start?" Seth asked.

"In a couple minutes." I said as I look at the time on my phone.

"Well, let's get this party started!" Molly yelled as she turns up the speaker and connects her phone to Bluetooth.

We were jamming, dancing, singing, talking, and eating for 10 minutes until the first meteorite shoots down. I turn down the music and immediate look up to see more coming down. It is so beautiful that I was like I was in a whole new world.

"Look out!" Tristian yelled.

I didn't pay attention to something falling towards us-by us, I mean me, Nayeli, Seth, and Olivia and soon enough, I blacked out when it struck us.

END OF FLASHBLACK

PART 2: THE INSURGENT SPIRITS

It's been two months since the Abnegation attack has happened. We stayed in Amity but that turned into a disaster when the Dauntless and Erudite came chasing after us. Soon enough, we split up and it was just me, Ellie, Seth, Molly, Steph, Carmen, Tristian, and Zed. Mom, Cheyenne, and Olivia are with the rest of the group. So, the Candor took us in where we ran into Uriah, Zeke, Lynn, and Marlene; thank god they're okay!

"Maci!" I awoke to Zeke calling my name as he violently shook me.

"What? Stop shaking me!" I complained.

"He's alive! Four's here!" He says.

"Where is he?" I asked as I scrambled to my feet, not even bothering to change out of the clothes I slept in.

"C'mon, I'll show you." He says as he gestures for me to follow him.

I followed closely behind him as we made our way down the stairwell.

"Hey, they're with us." I hear Tori's voice say as soon as we reached the end of the stairwell.

"We know who you are." I hear a man reply.

"Four!" I called out as our eyes contact for the first time since we split up.

I was about to make my way towards him but Zeke stops me. "Maci, stop."

"Last warning, drop your guns." The guard continues as he places the barrel of the gun against the back of Four's head.

"Stop, please! They're not the enemy!" I yelled as I struggled to break free from Zeke's grip.

Before I knew it, the target of the guns had switched from Four to me.

"Whoa, alright. Easy. I'm putting my gun down." Four says as he slowly lowers his gun.

Then, the guards cuffed as soon as he removes his hand from the handle of his gun and takes him away.

"Four, no! No, wait!" I yelled as Zeke tightening his grip on me.

I watched helplessly as the guards dragged him, Tris, Eric, mom, Cheyenne, and Olivia as Zeke slowly loosens his grip around my waist.

TIME SKIP

"Let us talk to Mr. Kang, please?" Ellie pleaded with the man who was guarding Mr. Kang's office.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Unlay. But I can't do that, I can't let you in." He shakes his head with an apologetic look on his face.

"Factional law must be upheld." I faintly hear Mr. Kang's voice says.

"No, wait, wait. Can I ask you a question? Please spare my daughter." Mom pleaded.

"Fine." Seth huffed before leaving and we follow behind him.

That's when Seth literally shoves the guard out the way, making all three us barged into the office, causing the startled guards to point their guns at us.

"Mr. Kang, please hear us out." I said.

"I'm sorry, sir. I couldn't stop them." The guard apologizes as he follow behind us.

"It's okay, Officer Rory." Mr. Kang smiles as he gestures for him to leave the room.

"And please, lower your guns." he says to the other two guards before nodding for us to continue.

"Sorry for barging in like that, but Mr. Kang, they're innocent." Ellie spoke.

"I'm sorry, Nayeli, but all I know for certain is that they're wanted for criminal insurgency and conspiring in the attack on Abnegation. Especially this one over here." He sighs, nodding his head at Eric, "Having said that, given the circumstances, I'm unfortunately obliged to hand them over to the council."

"We understand that and all I'm asking is that you at least hear them out. There has to be some sort of compromise that can be made, Mr. Kang, please." I begged.

"And spare Olivia. She's five years old; a child. She's been through enough already." Ellie added.

"We love them too much to lose them again. We are begging you, Mr. Kang. We will get on our knees if we have to, please." Seth begged.

His face soften as he glances at each of us before saying, "I believe you had a question?"

TIME SKIP

"I don't want to do it." Tris huffs angrily as we were escorted out of Mr. Kang's office.

"We have to, Stiff." Eric answers without even sparing at glance at her. "Neither of us have secrets worth dying for."

"Better than having a fucking trial and having a bullet in your goddamn head!" Seth growled at Tris before stomping off. "I suppose you have a better fucking idea than begging that man on your knees and have the rest of us going along with it!"

"Seth!" She tries to stop him but he's gone already.

"Don't. Give him some time to cool down." I stopped her.

But she ignored me and went after him. Cheyenne decides to break the awkward silence. "So.. what have you guys been doing lately?"

"Well, after we've been separate, Uriah and Zeke found us and took us here. Other than, it's lovely." Ellie scoffed, sarcastically.

"I miss your sarcasm." Eric chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"What about you guys?" I asked.

"We got into a fight with some Factionless...and they told us that you guys were taking refuge here." Four says, scratches the back of his neck as Mom looks at him, more like glaring at him.

"Why would the Factionless help you to begin with?" Ellie asked.

"That isn't important, what's important is that we're together again." Mom cuts Four off before taking Olivia and walks away.

What is mom and Four hiding? What are they not telling us?