CHAPTER I - MIASMA

It was dark as you walked through the quiet alleyways of Musutafu. The Underground, as it was nicknamed by its inhabitants. The lowest of the low. Small-time theives and serial killers alike. It wasn't exaclty a plesant place.

Which would strike the question as to why a fifteen year-old such as yourself was doing in a place like this. Honestly, you had no idea yourself. You were just hungry.

Walking closer to your favorite store, you suddenly felt someone bump into your back. Clamping your mouth before anything stupid came out, you broke into a sprint as the place was just around the corner. As soon as it came to view, you fiercely opened the door and practically jumped into before it slam shut as your back hit the wood.

The figure at the counter looked up from their book, a disinterested look on their face as they realized it was you.

As always.

"Hey, Kid. Always a pleasure." Tarou drawled as he put his book down and went underneath the counter, coming back with a brown small-sized paper bag. "Let me guess, the usual."

You let out a sigh as the male went ahead and bagged up two anpan buns, not bothering for affirmation from you.

As always.

He put out the brown bag, which was still to his grip as he held out his other hand, for payment.

With a sigh, you bought out the all the yen you had in your pocket. You knew it wasn't enough, as you grabbed whatever you could for the night before heading off. With your parents out for work, you'd often find yourself alone. One day, it just became quiet enough that you could hear them. Which was how you now found yourself at your nightly trips to the underground. The experiences you got here and the people you met. It was adrenaline-inducing.

"You still won't utter a word until business is done, huh? I guess we all can't get through traumatic experiences." Your tone was slightly condensing.

You watched as his stone-face facade finally broke, and his silver eyes shone with life, once more. Tarou's hand went instinctively to right ear as he handed you the bag.

"I don't know how you do it, kid. I can't say it's good for someone your age, but you've been here long enough to survive." He drawled once more.

Another sigh left you as you made your way to the door. "Yeah. No thanks to my bullshit parents."

His laughter faded as you opened the door and left. The chill of the night greeted your cheeks immediately, and your instinctively buried your face into your scarf, as you made your way to your favourite spot.

********

Sitting at the edge your favourite spot, also known as a random but familiar skyscraper, you watched as the sun set over Musutafu. Hues of pink and purple mixed into coming night sky of midnight blue. The first sighting of stars splotched across the diming sky.

Down below, was the horde of traffic, both on the road and sidewalk as people rushed to get their warm and safe homes with their loving famillies.

You felt a strained smile spread across your face, a habit when the voices began to speak over each other. Overlapping and distorting as they each expressed different emotions in contrast to you, who couldn't do anything about it since you were just a vessel.

You were basically their container.

You couldn't stand it, but you couldn't do anything either, afraid of whatever else would happen if they tried to come outside. The same thing again? Most probably.

Luckily, you had a chance to turn your life around. You were graduating school in few weeks, but you still had a chance to apply for whatever course you wanted. You could prove that you were not a curse.