TWENTY ONE

❝No human thing is of serious importance

❝No human thing is of serious importance.❞

— Plato

The other students start to come into the gym eventually

The other students start to come into the gym eventually. There are still students from Clio here, standing in lines or scattered around.

Seeing students from Clio makes me especially excited, considering the number of interesting people in the house. The students of my house sure are interesting, but meeting them everyday for a week straight makes everything a bit repetitive. They're testing high jump, grip strength, basketball shooting and minor things like these here in small groups, and any one would think that it would be over soon but judging by the number of students standing in this area right now, I knew that wasn't the case.

"Why is it that you attract the weirdest people?" Jude comes up right next to me, smiling. "Asher, Sam, Elliot, Penny, Rhett, Cammy- literally everyone, honestly."

I scoff. "I don't get how half of them are weird."

"Everyone who even approaches you is a dumbass."

"Sounds like you to me."

"I don't deny it." She shrugs, tucking a strand of her red hair behind her ear.

"What happened to your chess match?" I ask her and it's probably one of the few times I've actually carried on one of my conversations. "Who was it against again?"

She sighs. "I don't really know how to play chess, honestly. I lost. It was against that guy, Aarav. Man, he's so hyper. If you'd play against him, you'd break his face without a second thought. Speaking of breaking faces, what was the deal with the Penny girl?"

"Huh," I exhale, folding my arms as my eyes scan the room, looking for two people in particular. "I don't know. She seemed to be like obsessed with the game and thought I lost on purpose and freaked out on me."

She raises her eyebrows. "Well, did you? Lose on purpose, I mean." I throw her a glare and she shakes her head, laughing. "Jeez. Chill. Just asking. But if I was her, I'd feel the same way. I mean, look at you. You're a genius. The literal talk of the town at the moment. She obviously had her expectations. She probably expected you to do better. Considering it took like ten minutes for your game to be over, it would seem like you weren't interested in playing and deliberately chose the move that would make you lose."