The Beta is a Beta

The beta is a beta. An average beta.

Not the most dazzling star or firework in the sky. Not the prettiest bubble in the water either.

The beta is a beta. Just an ordinary beta.

Not like the mighty and strong alphas nor the delicate and lovable omegas.

While the alphas and the omegas were the diamonds of the empire, the betas were just bricks.

In its propaganda, the empire said, "Betas, we really care about you! We can't do without you!"

"Right," the beta thought. "You can't do without betas, but not specifically me. Betas are like bricks. Can be moved anywhere, can be abandoned anywhere. Kind of sad, isn't it?"

The beta's family wasn't prominent, but it had its own relatively unique points. He had an alpha dad and an omega dad, as well as two alpha older brothers and one omega little sister.

Then there was him, a beta.

Well, if he narrowed the scope to just his family, he really did seem to be the "brightest star in the night sky."

...Well, maybe.

But one shouldn't give up without even trying, so the beta decided to set a goal for himself. A dream.

And he decided that this was to join the Imperial Army.

On the day the beta was leaving home, the whole family gathered together, which was quite rare, to see the beta off.

Alpha Dad (Lieutenant Colonel): "Son, it's harder for a beta to be promoted than for an alpha. It's more important to keep your life intact."

Omega Dad (Major): "Son, why not follow Dad to the research division? You can still gain a military rank that way."

Alpha Eldest Brother (Captain): "Don't be scared, Brother. Just go for it! If you can't do as well as those other alphas, I'll beat them up for you!"

Alpha Second Brother (1st Lieutenant): "Good luck, Little Brother. I heard that the marshal will be personally training this new army to cultivate them into a new defense army. But at least your resume would look pretty good after you transfer."

Omega Little Sister (Student): "Third Brother, who's going to cook after you leave? Huhuhu, Dad's cooking is just inedib– mmf mmf."

His alpha dad covered his poor sister's mouth.

The beta felt a bit sad. "No one's optimistic about me," thought the beta. But even a beta had dreams too.

The beta then left the house with his luggage. When he had covered a great distance, he stopped and slowly breathed out a sigh before making a small fist pump and hyping himself up. "You can definitely do it, Beta! The empire can't do without you!"

At that critical moment, this chicken soup was still a bit useful.

The beta was 18 years old this year, an ordinary 18-year-old. He didn't own the world's largest conglomerate, nor was he the leader of a powerful gang. He had never even experienced any suffering.

A person of ordinary design, ordinary birth, and ordinary friendships, living an ordinary life in an ordinary novel, made an ordinary beta.

"No, no," the beta corrected. "I'm an ordinary beta with dreams."

And anyone with dreams was extraordinary!

After drinking this second bowl of chicken soup, the beta boarded the interstellar spacecraft that was headed for his destination.