Part 11

Congratulations – you've made it through another summer semester! With only two weeks of break left before the winter term starts (an absolute travesty, really), you decide to fly home for a brief visit. First stop: to see the folks. In the backseat of the taxi, Taehyung clasps your hand in his. "Nervous?" He says, lips stretching in a grin.

"Yeah, and it's all your fault," you groan, playfully giving his shoulder a shove.

"Damn right." He laces your fingers together before bringing the back of your hand up to his chest. His heart is racing too.

Outside, the scenery is becoming very familiar as the cab pulls into your old neighbourhood, then to the tall house with the sprawling balcony you used to hang out on for hours. There's the black fence, with the bent spoke from when Taehyung ran into it trying to win a game of something or other. And there's his mom, standing with all smiles at the front of the house.

Taehyung pays the cab driver while you lug your suitcases from the trunk. Neither of you have broken the good news to anyone from back home, and you're not quite sure how you should be behaving when Tae grabs your hand. He holds it confidently as you drag your luggage behind you, up the driveway.

"Hello!" His mom is beaming, sunshine literally radiating off her as she eyes your clasped hands, but says nothing. "Come, come, your parents are already inside!"

"Mom." When you come to a stop in front of her, Taehyung switches to an arm around your shoulders, so he can fondly pull you in. "Let me introduce you to my girlfriend."

Her bottom lip wobbles for a second, as if she's going to cry. "Well it's about time!" She bursts into delighted laughter as she beckons you inside. "Finally!"

You step over the threshold. "Finally? This was expected?" You shoot Tae a look of amusement and find him red around the cheeks, awkwardly chuckling with a hand over his mouth.

"Oh, our little Tae used to say he would marry you all the time." She leads you through the hallways you've long memorized. "Used to run around the house singing it, in fact."

"Mom!"

"Oh, really?" The smile you give him now is teasing, enjoying the blush that spreads around his face.

When he's sure his mom is otherwise distracted, he presses a quick kiss to your forehead. "Yeah... Really."

When you turn the corner, your parents are already on their feet. They take one glance at the way you and Taehyung are standing, fondly intimate, and trade knowing glances with each other. "This will be your official welcome to our family, Taehyung," your dad says with a smile.

"And yours to ours, dear." Taehyung's mom walks past you to stand with her husband, leaning her head on his shoulder.

As you look from face to face, feel the affection that radiates from them, your nerves can't help but melt into joy. It almost overwhelms you that this is your reality, that this bliss has the possibility to last a lifetime. It's then that Taehyung squeezes your hand, three times as if to say I love you. You squeeze him back, because god knows you love him. Then, with you in the lead, you walk towards your family, their arms already outstretched for hugs. There's no hesitation left.

You're home.