Chapter 9 - Albus Angst

Shards of ice bounced against Hermione's quivering body as she continued to hurtle down the bright tunnel.

An unknown force violently guided her down each animated passageway as she put herself into the foetal position and bounced through one passage to another,

"Why am I here?" Hermione screamed as the empty void mocked her questioning by echoing her pleas around the freezing domain.

Muffled sounds of chattering individuals rushed passed her ears as the bright lights of the previous moments vanished, making way for hues of black, whites and grey as her journey slowed down and she came to an abrupt holt in front of an oversized black gothic door.

Hovering in the gloom, the huge door displayed a large rusty red gargoyle face knocker as Hermione looked around for a door knob and keyhole.

She reached out and pushed as the heavy door refused to move,

"Well what do I do now?" Hermione yelled as a groaning distracted her confusion,

"Have manners and knock for entry" a grumpy voice stated as Hermione gawped in the direction of the mysterious demand in astonishment.

Specks of rust expelled into Hermione's face as the talking gargoyle regarded her with annoyance,

"Well are you going to knock before I rust away?" The miserable gargoyle continued.

Hermione cautiously reached out and pulled on the gargoyle's oversized nose,

"Do you mind? I said knock, not take off my nose!" the door knocker barked as it reluctantly opened the door and resumed its frozen state,

"Hello?" Hermione whispered as she put her head round the small crack in the door and looked into the darkness.

She struggled and pushed the heavy door open a little more as she fought against the invisible force holding her back,

"I want to know the truth" Hermione yelled as she turned back and faced her unknown tormentor,

"Let me go, now!" She shouted with authority as the invisible force echoed,

"As you wish" and let go of the control it had over the curious witch as she went tumbling through the dark doorway.

The door slammed shut behind her as she then began to rely on her other senses to guide her as she negotiated her way through the ill-lit corridor.

Slim gaps in the exposed brick wall acted as windows as the moonlight helped Hermione find her way to the end of the hall.

Closed large brown wooden doors littered both sides of the corridor as shuffling and scraping sounds alerted Hermione's senses, making her quicken her pace to reach the end.

Slightly smaller than the others, the arched oak wooden door at the end of the corridor was shut as she put her hand on the iron latch but jumped back when the handle flipped up and muttered voices increased in volume behind the divider.

Hermione frantically looked for a safe hiding place as she observed her new black and white environment with trepidation.

There was a small dusty nook at the side of the doorway that she squeezed into and just managed to fit as she crouched down and observed the new residents,

"Albus, I must go. I have to do this for us both" a woman said as the obstructed pair carefully closed the door and continued their secret conversation.

A tall, slender young man dressed in a white and silver robe held the blonde woman's shoulders as he tried to calm his nervous partner,

"Monica, I cannot let you go like this. I will protect you from whatever it is that you are scared of" the man tried as the young woman shook her head as her mind was made up.