Chapter 1

Adara Davison's signature dimples were in sync as she pulled up to her new home, but even though she was smiling, she couldn't help but wonder what her new life would bring. This moment in her life meant a new school, new neighbours and a new start. The only question was, would 'new' be better or worse?

Adara looked towards her parents, who were sitting in the front seats of the car, and felt a wave of relaxation. She was so proud of them, as they had spent day and night working until they could no longer stand. It was tough and she constantly worried for them, but as always, they would somehow divert her attention and make her feel silly for worrying. She loved her parents and was so delighted when they had announced they were moving.

But her sister wasn't pleased at all. She looked absolutely miserable. Adara didn't understand why Bella had to be so difficult. She knew that their parents had been working so hard for this day, and when it finally came, she didn't even bother to give them a smile.

"Bella, look. This is going to be so much fun. It's a new experience for all of us. You know how hard Mum and Dad have worked for this."

Adara took Bella's phone out of her hand and made Bella look at her.

"Come on, let me see a smile on your face. Think about it this way: we are a team. If one player steps out of the game, the whole team falls apart." Adara loved her sister but couldn't understand why she had to be so different, why she wouldn't compromise.

Bella gave Adara a half smile and looked out the window. She knew this was amazing and that their parents had done so much, but why did they always do what they wanted? Why did they never listen to what she had to say? She didn't even want to move house. It was just Dad's brilliant idea.

"Adara, we were fine living in a flat and now I won't even see my friends anymore," Bella complained, taking her phone back from Adara.

"We're here," Mike, their dad, interrupted. "Laura, would you just get out for me and check if I've parked the car properly?"

This was something Mike always did. He was never satisfied until his car was parked just right. And as always, Laura would always laugh and give him a thumbs-up or -down.

This time Mike got lucky. Laura got out of the car and gave Mike a thumbs-up. That meant they were good to go.

"Come on, girls." Laura waved her hands at the girls so they would get out of the car.

But before they got out, they looked out the window and were amazed.

"That's our house?" Bella asked in shock. "It's so big."

Bella didn't expect this. Maybe moving wasn't such a bad idea.

"Not that one, honey. On this side." Mike pointed to the smaller house on the left of their car.

"Really? This is it?" Bella got out of the car and stormed up to the front door.

Mike took out the house keys from his pocket and gave them to Bella.

"Here are the keys, honey. Don't worry, it might look like this on the outside, but it's much better on the inside." Mike gave his daughter a smile as he handed her the keys and sighed.

Laura came and stood beside her husband. "She'll calm down. Let's get our things out of the car." She walked to the back of their car, where Adara was already waiting with the boot open.

"Mum, don't take in too many heavy boxes. Your left arm will hurt. Here, this is the lightest one." Adara gave her Mum the small box and then took in three herself while Mike waited there for Adara to come back.