Chapter VI - fair trade

"What's so good about these tickets?" Now that they were gone, the atmosphere was a little less tense. Lucifer leaned back into his seat with his cup of coffee in hand as he dissed our tickets. "I can just teleport us there."

I shook my head at him as I carefully slipped the two tickets into my wallet. "No you can't. You have to be there for the flight." It'd be weird if he doesn't get on the plane but appears at the hotel.

"You're going to be stuck with me until the wedding's over."

Lucifer grumbled as he set his glass down. The waiter walked over with the bill which Lucifer paid for in cash. He told him to keep the change as we walked out of the store.

I continued our conversation as we headed to the car. "It's only a week. Then, you'll be free." I chuckled, who would have thought I'd say these words to the devil.

A smirk appeared on Lucifer's face just as he ducked into the car, "but you won't be."

I stood there, by the door and tried to understand what Lucifer meant. I knew there would be a price to pay, but the way he just said that made it feel a lot more ominous than it did last time.

"Are you getting in or not?"

I tried to rub away the shivers that ran up my arms before I climbed in. "What'd you mean?" I asked warily as I started the car.

Images of torture and slavery from movies and tv shows flashed through my mind and I wondered if Lucifer could see them too. Hopefully it's nothing like that.

"You're not going to take my soul or anything right?" I asked again after there was no reply from him. He locked eyes with me through the rear view mirror, "I'll drag you down to the depths of hell with me."

I freeze up trying to process what he said. Maybe I've made a mistake.

The corner of his eyes wrinkled up and he let out a low chuckle. "You're going to get honked at again." He said nudged his head toward the road.

I turned back to the road and stepped on the gas. I would like to think that my life was more important than not going at the green light. Turned into the first car park I saw and parked the car. We should have had this conversation before I brought him along to meet Leslie.

"What are we doing here?" Lucifer asked as he looked around. I shook my head, "nothing. I just can't do this and drive at the same time."

He slowly turned back to look at me. "Do what?"

"Am I really going to die?"

I counted three blinks before he burst out in laughter. "You really think I'm going to kill you?" I scrunched up my eyebrows at him as he let out a long breath. "Just for a few dates?"

"But you said-" My voice went up a notch. "I was kidding. Have you not heard of fair trade?" This was getting more ridiculous by the second.

"So you're not taking my soul?"

I was having a little trouble understanding. "No. How'd you even manage to summon me with this little knowledge?" Lucifer shook his head and scoffed.

I shrugged in return, honestly I think it was by chance. "So what did you mean by I won't be free after the wedding?" I relaxed a little in my chair since now I was sure I won't be dead by the end of the week.

"I happen to have a wedding to attend too, so you're coming with me."

It's just another wedding. I let out a sigh, I got worried over nothing. "I didn't know you had friends here." Lucifer tilted his head to the side and raised his eyebrows.

It took me a moment to realise. "You don't." I answered myself and he nodded. I was finally catching on, "you're taking me to a wedding in hell?"

He showed me a flat smile and nodded again. I let out a nervous chuckle, "do I really have to go? I mean, I'm just a human and you're the devil."

Lucifer let out a sarcastic grin, "I am the devil but I'm going to your sister's wedding." He has a point, that was what I summoned him for.

"I think you should take one of your non-human friends instead. The other devils wouldn't like a human at the wedding right?"

Lucifer sighed, looks like his patience was running thin. "You can just pretend to be one." Before I could come up with something else to say, Lucifer continued.

"Look, I'm only here because you said you'd do anything I want." I might recall having said something like that in the heat of the moment at that time. "You're coming to the wedding."

There's no point in arguing anymore, Lucifer was dead fixed on bringing me. "Fine, but you're taking me back here right after right? You're not going to leave me in hell?"

There's actually a lot I still want to do.

"You're not dead so I can't keep you in hell even if I wanted to." He explained. I hummed, still not very sure about it but since it wasn't happening yet I pushed my worries to the back of my head. I'll deal with it when it comes.

"What does hell look like?"

If I take away the nervousness, I was kind of curious. Lucifer turned and chuckled, not really expecting that. "You'll see when you get there."

I imagine it be red and firey, full of negative energy and bad vibes. But talking about the wedding, "who's getting married?" I didn't know devils got married.

"One of my siblings."

I gasped, "you have siblings? Are they younger or older than you? Wait, how old are you?" He's definitely not two years older than me.

His eyebrows creased together as he answered me. "Why are you suddenly so interested?" He said with a hint of annoyance, I guess I asked too many questions.

I shrugged, "well I'm not going to die there so I might as well enjoy it."

Lucifer stayed quiet before he slowly looked away. "I'm not going to die there, right?" I asked, unsure. He was acting a little suspicious.

He waved me away, "yea, of course not." That doesn't sound very believable. I grumbled but again, pushed it to the back of my head.

I shift gears and reverse out of the parking spot. Now that the conversation was kind of over, I could focus on driving.