2

The Devil was wearing a white short-sleeved shirt and black trousers that hugged his moderate-build tightly, a heavy contrast to the dirty shorts and football jersey Pẹlumi wore. Regardless of that, the thought that had managed to slip into Pẹlumi's mind instantly was what The Devil was doing in a club like this in Ibadan. That idea only fuelled the joke the stranger had cracked and Pẹlumi couldn't hold back his laugh. The stranger joined in the laugh too and the both of them returned to being two tipsy strangers by the bar.

"Alright. I accept your dare," he said. He had nothing to lose anyway.

Pẹlumi got up from the tall stool he'd been sitting on. He winked at the stranger and allowed himself to be drawn in by the music. He quickly dissolved into the bodies of people dancing in the area. His dull eyes trailed his surroundings until they fell on a table with a barely opened bottle sitting at its centre. Needless to say, the chairs around the table were empty, save the presence of purses and other stuff Pẹlumi wasn't bothered to take proper note of.

He felt his heart race in fear and excitement as he reached for the bottle. The moment he had his fingers wrapped around the cold glass, Pẹlumi swiped it off the table and carefully returned to the bar, with a smile spread across his face. A part of him still expected someone to call him out but everyone was just lost in the song and the nighttime ecstasy.

The stranger let out a hushed laugh as soon as Pẹlumi was within sight. He moved his fingers through his low-cut beards as he beheld the liquid in the transparent glass. Pẹlumi allowed the thrill of his actions course through his veins. He suddenly felt thirsty and wanted nothing more than to have a sip of that drink. He, however, found his mouth parting in surprise when the stranger placed an envelope on the counter. Pẹlumi looked between the soft-eyed stranger and the envelope a couple times before he parted the brown envelop slightly to reveal a sum of money that he assumed was a total of twenty thousand naira.

"Looks like the gamble paid off," said the stranger. He poured the drink in his glass and helped himself with a long sip.

"Honestly, I didn't expect you give me the money. I just did it because it was fun." Pẹlumi held the envelope tightly before placing it in his pocket.

The stranger spared him a confused look. "I'm a man of my words, Boss," he told him. Then he released a small sigh as he tossed the bottle to Pẹlumi.

"Where did you see money to buy drink?"

Pẹlumi's features shifted from awe at the action of the stranger to annoyance at the words of his friend. He looked up to Kacey's fierce eyes looking down at him from the other side of the counter. She was wearing a frown and her dark lips had formed a sneer.

"I didn't buy it," Pẹlumi told her gently before turning back to the stranger. Kacey reached for the bottle but Pẹlumi quickly pulled away from her. "Weren't you flirting with that other boy before? Go back and disturb him. Fimilẹ, girl yi."

Kacey kissed her teeth and allowed a frown cloud her face. Then she leaned closer to whisper, "I saw you taking that bottle. Do you know what will happen if you were caught by someone else?" Pẹlumi attempted to shift back but she placed a strong grip on his hand, keeping him in place. He could perceive the minty smell of the gum she'd been chewing earlier, coupled with the gently smell of her perfume. The look in her eyes dared him to look away. He didn't. He couldn't. "This is not you, Pẹlumi. I'd get up and leave if I were--"

"Is anything the matter?"

The both of them turned to the gleaming eyes of the stranger. He had a questioning look on his face. Kacey quickly shifted away from Pẹlumi and switched to her flirty bartender mode. Pẹlumi hated it. He hated how she batted her lashes and pushed her lips forward at any guy. At least, any guy that wasn't him.