The princes

Dietrich found himself on a small cot getting his arm wrapped tightly from the wound. He blamed himself for the attack. He should've called for his men to stand at the borders. He knew they were planning something, but they had seemed to plan it sooner than he thought. He groaned as he felt the bind tighten around his arm. He looked up to see Oriana rush through the room and enter another one behind the curtain. He noticed she was covered in blood herself and she wore armor.

"Dietrich!" Ignacio's familiar voice snapped his attention away. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine." He responded. "It's just a small wound. What about you?"

"Scratches here and there, but nothing that'll be lifelong. Thanks to Oriana." Ignacio smiled.

"What do you mean?" He furrowed his brow.

"Dietrich, Oriana helped us push them back. She didn't run." Dietrich saw what his friend was getting at. "You were wrong."

"Maybe I was." He shrugged. "However a Queen without a King is something the people don't want. They aren't looking for a woman to lead them no matter how good she is at fighting, or archery, or being a royal pain in the ass."

He saw the disappointment in his friend's eyes. "You're right." He spoke. The words caught Dietrich off guard. "People want a man. They want a strong leader that doesn't follow their heart. They want a leader that follows their head."

"I'm glad you're understanding." He nodded. "Ignacio, you may really like her, but let her go. We are not people who marry for love, we marry for politics. For our country, and for our people. Let her go or you will never accept that."

"It's not that easy." He responded.

"Well you have to make it." Dietrich stood up and looked at his friend. "Looks like she let go from you."

Dietrich walked away leaving his friend alone. His arm was sore and he felt the throbbing. He walked through the halls and sighed. The maids, and servants were at work taking care of the dead bodies, and scrubbing the blood off the floor. Walking to the servants that were dragging the limp bodies. He grabbed a limp body and began to drag it.

"Oh no sir, it is ok. We have it handled." One of the servant boys commented.

"Getting them disposed of faster is better." He grunted.

The boy didn't respond but continued his work. They dragged bodies for what seemed like hours to him. Back and forth placing them into a pile to be discarded. He stood by as they lit them in the flames. He grimaced when he heard one of them moan and a loud scream. Someone was alive, and they were burning him.

Leaving the bodies behind he walked through the halls watching the maids scrub. They struggled to get the blood out. He met the eyes of Alexei who he saw was panicking. He was searching for someone, but wasn't covered in blood. Did he run away? Dietrich felt his blood boil. He was supposed to be the man that guarded Oriana, he was a royal guard, and here he was, not a single drop of blood on him.

"If you're looking for your princess, she's with the King." He spit out. "While you're at it, watch yourself. Princess Asterin is above your station and her father will have your head and your precious princess won't be able to help you."

Before he could get a response he pushed his way through. His head rushing back to the clear act of admiration he saw Asterin and Alexei in. The kiss she gave him before retreating to her quarters for good. If he saw anyone could've. Which means that she was being reckless. Something he warned her about and she openly ignored it. If she was caught it was on her, not him. His father would find another woman to stick Dietrich to. He was always going to be safe no matter what happened, but for the sake of political contribution he needed Asterin to be alive for the wedding.