IX

09 | nine.

A WOMAN FIRST, A DAUGHTER SECOND

A WOMAN FIRST,
A DAUGHTER SECOND.

Without her sisters in the room, it was awfully awkward as Mr. Collins moved to stand behind her chair. Elodie refused to look at him. Eventually, a rough hand gently holding a purple flower snaked around the side of the chair and presented it in front of her. She immediately recognized it to be a weed that grew next to the lake.

As it was pushed closer to her, she turned her head away and licked her chapped lips. No, please God, no!

"Dear, Miss Elodie." Mr. Collins finally spoke, defeatedly placing the flower upon her plate and moving to her side. She simply side-eyed him. "I'm sure my intentions have been too masked to be mistaken. Almost as soon as I entered the house, I singled you out to be the companion of my future life."

Elodie gripped her dress tightly between her fingertips and clamped her mouth shut as a quip almost slipped out.

He cleared his throat again. "Before I am run away with my feelings, perhaps I may say my reasons for marrying-" Elodie immediately gasped at the word she had so vehemently wished to not hear and stopped him from continuing his speech. "Mr. Collins-"

Despite her interruption, Mr. Collins spoke again and fumbled with his coat. "Firstly, that it is the duty of a clergyman to set an example of matrimony in his parish. Secondly, I am convinced that it will add greatly to my happiness. And thirdly, that it is at the urging of my esteemed patroness Lady Catherine de Bourgh that I select a wife.."

"My object in coming to Longbourne, was to choose such a wife from among Mr. Bennet's daughters." He swallowed thickly as his arms fell to his sides. "I am to inherit this estate, and such an alliance will surely... suit everyone."

Elodie couldn't believe that those awful, threat-filled words spilled from his mouth. In her mind, he was saying she had only two options; one being to marry him, and the other being the loss of their estate if she were to decline his proposal.

    She certainly wished for neither to happen.

"And now," Mr. Collins spoke up after a short pause as he let his words sink in, "Nothing remains but for me to assure you in the most animated language of the violence of my affections-" He dropped to his knee, causing Elodie to leap up from her seat and back away into the table, her hands held tightly onto the rim.

"Mr. Collins." She said firmly, horror still stricken upon her face. The man looked up at her with a confused expression. "You are certainly too hasty. If you've not cared to notice, I have given you no answer to your... heartfelt proposal."