Chapter One.

The Avengers: The reluctant hero.

Author: Beth Brownell

Rating: PG-13

Summary: When the Avengers meet a young woman, they find that not all humans are really human at all.

Pairings: not sure at this time.

Author’s Note: This story came from a dream that I had. I own any original characters not seen in the cartoons or the comic books.

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from The Avengers or Gargoyles, just the plot line of this story and the original characters. I do not make any money from the writing of this story, if I did, I would be one of the writers for the cartoon or the comic book, which I am not.

The reluctant hero.

Chapter One.

“Loki, get me another parchment!” yelled Oberon, as he sat at his desk writing one letter after another to his numerous children reminding them to pay him a visit at least once every two months or he’ll be coming there to visit them.

“Yes, my lord Oberon,” Loki sneered as he headed for the cabinet to get another stack of parchments for Lord Oberon. He despised this new role as attendant to Lord Oberon, but it was a punishment from his adoptive father Odin for trying to enslave Midgard and torture his adoptive brother Thor. All he wanted to do is escape and be free again. He could only hope that the people he was in contact with could help him in that goal. He knew that Oberon’s wife Titania should be away from Avalon when it happens as she will prevent it from happening.

~~~~~~~~~

It was the twentieth day of the hottest days in New York City. The city was busy as always as people rushed about their day, horns blaring as the taxis tried to maneuver through the streets. Central Park was full of people trying to get cool. The whole city was in a hot tempered mood and it showed in the amount of horns blaring in the day.

A young woman went pushing through the crowd, the hot days were not helping her stress levels as she battled the crowds to get to her apartment to finish getting the last two boxes sent to where they would be safe at while she hunted down a new place to live at. For the past three years, she worked for NiGen, a medical company that swore to her that they would never fire her, suddenly, that promise went right out the window and they laid her off. Now not having that job wouldn't have been too bad if her landlord hadn't informed her that he had raised her rent to five thousand dollars a month and on top of that, the utilities were now added since the heat wave started. Which forced her hand as she did not want to call on her friends to regain her apartment or her job, she sent her belongings to a friend to keep safe till she found a new place to live at.

She didn't realize how far she walked lost in thought till she glanced off to the left to see the Avengers mansion sitting there. She smiled as she walked past the mansion as it always made her smile when she went past it before work or when she was coming home. She noticed kids were racing around and she made a remark about one of them going to get themselves hurt if they don't watch it.

She kept walking when she heard a yell and the horns going off. She glanced ahead of her to see one of the running kids in the path of one of the taxis that was speeding to get in traffic. She raced as fast as her feet could carry her as she dashed into traffic and hoped that she could get to the kid before the taxi did. Her mind was purely focused on grabbing the kid and getting him to safety. She felt the impact on her left side and she rolled with the hit, leapt to her feet and dashed to the other side of the road before putting the kid down. The kid rewarded her with a kick to the left leg before rushing off again. "I have a few more choice words for you to hear, little brat!" She roared as she glared at the kid who joined up with his friends and ran on down the street. Her hand went to her left side and felt movement under her skin. '<i>Great, possible rib fracture.</i>' She glanced up to see how far the sun set was to only shake her head. '<i>It would mean I would have to shift to heal the fracture. But where can I do it at safely?</i>'