Chapter ten | official dating

Chapter ten |official dating

Nevaeh Stolly

"So you tell me you met Kai Naese and his wife?" That's the first thing Tamara asked me when I got into her car.

"Yes."

"And how are they?" She asks curiously as she starts the car.

"They're the funniest people I've met. Especially Aaliyah. His wife. She's so nice and funny and beautiful and loving." My mind flies to last night's memories. That's one of the reasons why I'm glad I accepted Zaiah's offer. I can make many friends and live my life as a teenager. Approximately entirely.

"And they're nice together?" My best friend asks me but doesn't move her gaze off the road.

"Oh don't even get me started. I didn't get to see them a lot together but I know they're destined for each other. The way they communicate, the way they look at each other. It's just… perfect."  I say and let out a sigh. "I want what they have."

"Maybe Zaiah will give you what you want," Tamara whispers and thinks I can't hear her.

"Zaiah can't give me what I want. And besides, we're not really together. We're not even friends. Just… acquaintances?" I'm trying to find the right word.

"Exactly. You two are pretending to be together. And you think that if you're going to kiss a person for so long, it is not going to bring you feelings, then you're wrong."

"Okay, maybe I'll have feelings for him. But he certainly won't like me back." We need to be realistic and accept that Zaiah will never have feelings for me. And I'm okay with that.

"Stop thinking so low about yourself." Tamara parks the car and we both get out.

I look at her a little confused, but I try to get the conversation out of my mind.

It scares me a little when my phone starts ringing. I quickly take it out of my pocket and see "pretty boy 🦋" appearing on the screen.

"Hello, Zaiah," I answer when I start going, holding hands with Tamara.

"Where are you?"

It's polite to say hello, you know.

"I'm getting to school now, why?"

"Okay. Because we're going to make it official today, Neve." His voice rang through the phone.

"What are we going to do officially?"

"That we're together, Nevaeh." Oh, I forgot we had to do this.

"Okay. When are we going to do it? Why didn't you tell me earlier? I'm nervous now. Thank you I guess. How are we going to do it? That's the most important thing." I start talking fast and say a lot of sentences that don't really add up.

"Calm down, Nevaeh. It's all ready. We just have to go to the canteen together, okay?"

I nod. "Okay."

Without saying anything, hang up the phone. Rude.

"What happened?" Tamara asks me.

"Zaiah wants to officially announce that we are together. Today. And I'm starting to freak out." I turn my face to her and she shakes my hands slightly.

"Hey, it'll be fine. I'm sure you won't have to do anything. So calm down, take a deep breath, and think that this will be over soon." My best friend is trying to make me calm and I'm listening. I take a deep breath a few times until I feel like I'm relaxing.