Prologue

"Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty."           -Derek Zoolander in Zoolander 

Somewhere in the ocean
1733

All was quiet, all was still in the calm waters.

A sea turtle slowly ambled along the sandy bottom, as a school of fish swam peacefully overhead in coordinated strokes.

Not a soul would suspect something was amiss with the beautiful scene, except for the faint sound of weeping.

The boy wept over his parent's dead bodies on the ocean floor as fish swam around him, unaware of the horrible agony he was experiencing.

His arm clutched about his father's neck while his tail wrapped around his mother's body beneath him. A giant harpoon conjoined his parents' bodies, keeping them bound together there for eternity.

"Father!" The boy cried in anguish as he sobbed into his father's neck, "Please, do not leave me here!" The sobs tore through his small body and he was filled with despair.

As if by some miracle, Adonis' eyes opened faintly and he beheld his son in his arms.

"Loris... " He breathed. The boy's head shot up and he clutched his father tighter.

"Father! Don't go, please, don't go!" He cried, staring into Adonis' eyes with a desperate plea.

Adonis smiled faintly and gazed upon his child for a final time before gently answering,

"Tis alright, my son. My necklace...take it off me."

Loris obediently removed the small shell necklace corded around his father's neck. He looked up at his father with confusion.

"This necklace was forged from the bond I made with your mother. It will allow you to live between both worlds. Wear it always. And Loris...forgive the humans." He sighed heavily and tore his gaze from his son to his beloved wife.

"They are not all evil."

Anger such as Loris had never felt before broiled inside of him, causing his insides to feel sick with rage.

"I hate the humans!" He spat out, clutching the necklace in his small fist. "They did this! I wish they would all die!" He sobbed. He raised his arm to throw the necklace.

"Loris."

His father's voice held an immediate command that caused Loris to halt himself.

Adonis slowly closed his eyes and lifted his head up. The light from the surface filtered down and washed over his face.

"Only when you free yourself from hatred, will you begin to see the light." He whispered as the last of his life left his body.

"Father! NO!"

Loris shook his father's shoulders frantically as new sobs erupted from his body.

"No, no no, no!!!" He screamed.

It was pointless...he felt the moment his father's soul had left. Could feel the unfathomable emptiness seep over him like frigid water.

Bitterly tying the necklace around his own neck, he released his grasp on his father and slumped down into the sand.

He remained there for what felt like an eternity. He thought of the humans...the memories played over and over again in his head like a constant reel of events.

He saw what they had done to his mother when they mercilessly fished her out of the water. He watched in horror what they did to her body as she screamed in torture aboard their ship.