Chapter Five

Two years of keeping watch over the human girl had left Loris oddly irritated. She was so unlike all the others of her kind. She practically never stepped a foot near the ocean since he had first met her, and she never attempted to hide her hatred for the body of water either.

Today was different though. She returned to the beach. She had unwittingly stepped foot back into his world. He was intrigued.

Loris stared in deep fascination as she slept peacefully beside the calm lagoon of water. It was the first time in two years he did not have to look upon her simply from afar.

Silently, he snaked closer towards her, watching with curiosity when her lashes fanned against her face, occasionally fluttering in her sleep. Her hair was down, scattered around her face and shoulders.

It was a strange sensation, Loris pondered, to see a human look quite so...lovely.

The only humans he ever came across were all a hideous-looking lot. They also stank like piss and sweat. Victoria, on the other hand, smelled like sweet jasmine...

For a mere moment, he wondered if she would taste equally as good.

"What should I do with you, daughter of the devil?" He whispered aloud, his face inches away from hers. His eyes narrowed into slits as he considered the decision at hand. He could seize her now and let the devastation reach her father...or he could wait a little while longer.

Her father's ships were nearly all destroyed now, thanks to him. The Hallewell Shipping Company would be in ruins by the end of the year, and the time for the final phase of vengeance would soon be at hand.

He had waited for two long years to claim her, and now here she was...but it was still too soon.

High tide was approaching and the water levels were beginning to slowly increase. Loris looked over his shoulder at the impending waves, then back to Victoria.

Just a little longer... 

He watched the water reach her sleeping form. 
The water lapped against her backside and she let out a gargantuan snore.

Wow...really? 

His head snapped back to the emerging tide. She would wake up now...any moment now. 

Another soft snore escaped her body and he hissed with frustration. Surely he would not have to actually rescue her...again.

He didn't save humans, he destroyed them. The notion went against every fiber of his body.  Why was this damned girl always making it so difficult on him?

He braced on his arms and shielded her with his back as a huge wave came crashing upon them.

"Wake up, you ridiculous human." He hissed into her ear. Nothing. He groaned and rubbed a hand over his face. 

"Wake up!" He yelled as another wave approached.

"Mmm, what's that you say?" She muttered and yawned, her eyes flickering open as he slid back into the water.

Of all the interactions I've had with humans, this takes the top...

He watched her from beneath the surface, a scowl etched across his porcelain features. His blue eyes followed her form as she jumped out of the water and shrieked a fit of profanities.

Serves you right, human. He bit back a smile.

Victoria stumbled and crashed back into the water.

...Really?!

Loris hissed and launched himself back towards her.
Her head smacked against the rock a split second before his body wrapped around hers. He was too late.

"You foolish human!" He snapped as blood began to trail in red, lazy swirls through the murky water around them.

Loris tightened his hold around the girl's small body. He took his free hand and tucked her head against his shoulder as he scowled up at the surface for the injustice of his circumstances.

There was no possible way he could return her to her estate like this without raising questions, he had to heal her wounds as quickly as possible. He tsked in annoyance.

Seeing no other option, he swam upwards and lifted her head out of the water against his shoulder, her brown hair falling over his back, intertwining with the strands of his snow white hair.

"Breathe." He murmured, cradling her head. 

His eyes scanned over to the nearby cliffs. There were several caverns formed into the sides of the cliffs, creating a perfect vantage point to assess the girl's wounds. 

He held her up for a moment longer, before moving again. He swam out into deeper water, holding her against him. With sure strokes, his body sliced through the water propelling them towards a gaping cavern entrance in the cliffside. 

They entered the cavern from the open waterway, swimming deeper and deeper into the dark hollow enclave. 

A slab of stone stood out of the water, making a perfect place on which to lay Victoria's body.  

He lifted her up, and out of the water then braced the ledge, lifting himself out of the water. His tail suspended half in the murky depths as he sat on the edge.

He leaned forward and adjusted her position so she could lay directly on her back. Placing his finger on her wrist, he felt for a pulse: a detection of human life. It was still there.

Her breath came in shallow huffs and her eyelids fluttered, yet remained closed. 

"What am I doing..," he muttered as he reached down, grabbing ahold of her skirt,

"Should've just let you die and be done with it,"

He deftly ripped a strip off the bottom of the wet material and began to wrap it around her head,

"But no...what do I look like, your protector?"

Victoria's eyes fluttered again. Loris finished tying the bandage and glanced down at her. Despite the damp cloth around her head, she was still so lovely to look at. He paused.

He began to feel the anger ebb away from him as he looked down at her face. Every line and angle of her seemed to connect perfectly, creating a beautiful image. Her eyes slowly opened and he stared transfixed on the astonishing color of grey they were.

Then her eyes opened wider.

In fear.

------------------------------------------

Hello to all! I'm so excited to be writing this story, I hope you're enjoying it as well! I know this was a short update, but I shall be posting more later 🌺
Until then! 🌠