CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

The group surges forward, breaking the line we were in and forming a loose circle around Arielle on the wide walkway

The group surges forward, breaking the line we were in and forming a loose circle around Arielle on the wide walkway. The Guardian kids, including Caelum, are closest to Arielle now. I'm trying hard not to stare at that boy, but I'm failing. He's got a light tan that compliments his green eyes, and the kind of face you just kinda wanna stare at.

I avert my eyes and linger at the edge of the group. Vivian's still sticking by my side, looking crestfallen from that Jazmin encounter.

"I'm Arielle, and I'm a first year Guardian graduate student."

A few kids start murmuring and look impressed—they're all the kids that don't seem to be part of the "royal" group. Arielle straightens her shoulders, looking extremely pleased with herself. Smug.

The bitchy girls are rolling their eyes at the excited kids, and I decide I dislike them even more.

"I'm here to give you a quick peek at the Hall of Arrangement," Arielle says. "You'll be able to tour the full campus and your assigned dorm after you pass the Entrance Trials. Once we're done viewing the Hall, we will return to the buses out front. In the welcome packets that were mailed to you, you were assigned group numbers and received keys to your temporary lodging. When we return here, please find and board the bus displaying your group number. It will take you to your cabin, where you will find your luggage, as well as any boxes you may have sent ahead."

Guess that explains why no one has a backpack or a suitcase.

"What's your number?" Vivian whispers, her still-sad puppy eyes staring out at me from behind her black glasses.

"I forget," I mumble. "I have it in my backpack."

She wrinkles her brow and for the first time looks at me with real suspicion.

Thatta girl. Finally getting it. I don't have a number, I never got a welcome packet in the mail, and I'm feeling more and more like an imposter. 'Cause I kinda am.

"Well, I'm with group eleven," she says.

Arielle begins to walk, and a loose line forms again with Vivian and me at the end of it.

"Some of you may have visited us before," Arielle says, her voice carrying with the breeze, "but for those of you who have not, this is the main walkway you will use to get to all your classes and the dorms. It connects with every building on the Academy campus, as well as the Hall of Arrangement. We use it so as not to damage the Redwoods' root system. Leaving the path or touching the trees here is a punishable offense. However, if you enjoy hiking, we do have recreational trails set aside outside the main campus for your enjoyment."

Interesting. And I approve of their respect for the trees. But damn, I really want to touch one now!

All the students grow quiet as we walk, and I'm happy for it.