Chapter 14

They only had one more week until the antidote would be ready. None of the boys were particularly looking forward to it. 

Emerald seemed indifferent to it though. She said she'd like to be old again. 

"Sir when she takes this potion will she remember any of this?" James asked Slughorn. 

Slughorn looked at Emerald thoughtfully. "I doubt it. Maybe bits and pieces. But even that's unlikely." 

"So she won't even remember being friends with us?" Remus asked aghast. 

"No. She most likely won't remember anything. I suppose you could attempt to refresh her memory. With photos and things like that." 

"Well that's great." Sirius snapped. "Three months and she won't remember a minute of it." 

Emerald watched this with disinterest. She wondered what was for dinner that night. 

---- 

Emerald walked with Sirius, James, Peter and Remus to the infirmary. 

"So this is goodbye." Sirius said as she sat down on the bed. 

"Don't be silly Sirius." Emerald said. "I'll be back tomorrow." 

"Yeah," Sirius murmured. "Tomorrow." 

James clutched Emerald tight. "You're the best kid around Emerald." 

"Thanks." Emerald said hugging him back. 

Remus looked into her eyes and wished they would never lose that innocence and naivety. "See you in the morning." He said giving her a quick hug. 

"See you in the morning." Emerald said happily enough. 

"Don't forget us." Peter said squeezing her shoulder gently. 

"Forget you?" Emerald echoed. "Why would I do that?" 

"Don't worry about it, kid." Sirius ruffled her hair one last time before Madam Pomfrey approached with Slughorn and Dumbledore. 

James hugged her one more time before they were instructed to leave. 

The dorm was silent that night. 

---- 

Emerald woke up feeling like she had been hit by two trains, then trampled on by a herd of hippogriff. 

"Fuck." She muttered, trying to block out the sun. 

"Language." Came the voice of Dumbledore. 

"Sorry sir." Emerald said sitting up straight. She only now realised she wasn't in the Slytherin dormitory. "Where am I?" 

"The Hospital Wing. A few months ago you had an accident. I'm afraid it's not my place to tell you what happened. I'm sure those who's place it is will be more than happy to oblige."  

That was reassuring. 

"How many months?" 

"Three." 

Emerald almost fell out of the bed. Three months?! "Sir how am I going to keep up in classes?" 

"Mr. Nott has already been tasked with helping you catch up." 

Emerald nodded calming slightly. Theodore Nott was a right old brainiac. 

"Madam Pomfrey wishes to do a few more tests. Then you will stay overnight. Tomorrow morning if all goes well you will be free to leave." 

"Thank you sir." She nodded and Dumbledore bid her farewell. 

She tried to remember anything about the past few months. Her mind came up blank. There was a slightly blurry memory of Tales Of The Beedle Of The Bard. But that was probably her mind playing tricks on her. What would she be doing with a children's book of fairytales? 

"Ah Miss Dolohov. You're awake." Madam Pomfrey came over with a clipboard. "How are you feeling?" 

"Like I got run over by the Hogwarts Express." Emerald rubbed her face tiredly. "What happened?" 

"It's not my place to tell." 

"Just give me a hint. Just a tiny one." 

Madam Pomfrey sighed heavily. "Well one thing I can tell you is you haven't been unconscious for the past three months. Actually you were more active than I've ever seen you be before." 

That didn't clear up anything but Emerald was exhausted and sore so she didn't push it. 

----

Sirius watched the doors the next morning and sure enough in strode Emerald Dolohov, now a teenager herself.

He perked up just like a dog as Emerald's eyes strayed to the Gryffindor table but her eyes glazed right past them as if they were just four other boys in the crowd. 

She walked over to the Slytherin table and was greeted with many hugs and kisses from friends. All of them were pretty tight lipped on what had happened as well. 

"She just looked right past us." Sirius whispered. 

"She doesn't remember anything." James stated glumly as he slumped in his chair. 

"Hey it's alright." Remus said. "We can just try and be her friend now. With the real her. If the child version is that lovable and happy, she can't be that bad." 

"I doubt she'd want to hang out with us." Peter said, glancing over at her. "We run with very different crowds just in case you didn't notice." 

They all looked over to see Emerald bat away Lucinda Malfoy's hand with a exasperated smile. 

"Yeah but uh, Sirius you're shit at potions. After potions ask her if she could help you out. She's like the star pupil. Worst case scenario is she says no." Remus said. 

"I am not shit at potions." Sirius protested weakly. 

"Okay. We have potions tomorrow first thing." James said. "This should be easy."