109|Give Me a Sign

"Castiel, uh... we need you for a little powwow down here, so come on down."

"Hello."

Sam, Dean and Bobby all turned to face me. They were still at Ellsworth's house for some inexplicable reason.

"Oh, Johnny on the spot," Bobby muttered.

"You're still here," I observed.

"Yeah, we had to bury the bodies," Sam explained.

"And we found some whiskey," Dean added. "Thanks for coming."

"How can I help?"

"Oh, look. We, um- we have a new plan. We think we finally figured out a way to track down Crowley."

"What is it?"

Bobby lit a match and dropped it to the floor, trapping me in a ring of holy fire.

"It's you," he said.

"What are you doing?" I demanded.

"We gotta talk," Dean replied, looking defeated.

"About what? Let me go!"

"About Superman. And Kryptonite."

"How'd you know what I said?" Bobby raised an eyebrow.

I groaned internally, realizing the error I'd made.

"How long you been watching us?" Sam demanded.

"You know who spies on people, Cass?" Dean asked. "Spies."

"Okay, just wait," I tried to reason with them. "I don't even know what you mean."

"What about this demon craphole? How is it so, uh... 'next to godliness' clean in here?"

"And how exactly did Crowley trick you with the wrong bones?"

I wondered if Eleanor knew what was going on right now. I was avoiding looking at Dean, focusing instead on Sam and Bobby.

"It's hard to understand. It's hard to explain," I told them. "Just let me go. Let me out and I can-"

"You got to look at me, man," Dean pleaded, stepping closer to the ring of fire. "You got to level with me and tell me what's going on. Look me in the eye and tell me you're not working with Crowley."

I briefly made eye contact with him, but immediately looked away again without a word.

"You son of a bitch."

Dean stumbled back by his brother, and I looked at him again, desperate to defend myself.

"Let me explain."

"You're in it with him? You and Crowley have been going after Purgatory together? You have, huh? This whole time."

"I did it to protect you. I did it to protect all of you."

"Protect us how?" Sam glared. "By opening a hole into monsterland!"

"He's right, Cass," Bobby added. "One drop got through, and it was Eve. And you want to break down the entire dam?"

"To get the souls," I told them desperately. "I can stop Raphael. Please, you have to trust me."

"Trust you?! How in the hell are we supposed to trust you now?"

"I'm still me. I'm still your friend. Sam... I'm the one who raised you from Perdition," I echoed my declaration to Dean from four years ago.

"What?" Sam's eyes widened, and Dean and Bobby shared similar expressions. "Well, no offense... but you did a piss-poor job of it. Wait. Did you bring me back soulless... on purpose?"