Chapter 13:

An hour later Camilo paces the common room as he waits for his sister and tio to meet back up with them. But they are late, Delores he knows at least is never late.

Alex suddenly approached him though, not doing much to improve his mood at the sight of them but he welcomed the distraction anyway, at least it stopped the images of Spencer's limp body in when Claudia held him and from the worrying that he wasn't yet conscious and further more from the panic that was rising at Tio Bruno and Delores' absences.

"Camilo." Alex said having to physically stop him from pacing. "I owe you an apology." They started but Camilo didn't want to hear it.

"Not now Alex, really not now." He was two seconds from having a breakdown. Alex made him sit down and they hugged him. Camilo thought about pulling away but he knew he wasn't okay and he needed their support right now.

"I need you to hear this, Camilo. Because I went and made what was already a very stressful situation for you worse. You needed me to support you and I lashed out at you because I didn't think you knew that I cared about Spence too. And that wasn't okay. You are one of the bravest people I know Camilo, and I love you exactly as you are, you should never change." Alex said. "And I made him cry again." They sighed but they were smiling.

"I love you too, Alex." Camilo whispered and wiped his eyes.
"You are precious." Alex said and cupped his face.

"Camilo is already crying, do we have to tell him now." His Tio whispered a little too loudly.
Camilo frowned at them both, both of their faces stricken from colour and full of panic. Camilo's stomach knotted at the sight of them.

"Tell Camilo what?" He dared to ask.

"Now you've done it." Delores muttered and then she turned to face Camilo. He hadn't seen her this worried since Bruno's vision and Mirabel had disrupted Isabella's proposal. This was bad.
"We have all have to go home.. it's Abuela. She got sick after you left, we weren't worried about it enough to disrupt you at school, you were already having a rough time and mama made us swear not to tell you.."

Camilo couldn't bare to listen to anymore. How dare they lie to him about Abuela being sick. Much more, how could he forgive them.. she could have died and he wouldn't have known and after everything. He blinked against the tears that started to form and the burning started behind his eyes. he ran to the only person that could ground him right now. Spencer.
Who by some complete miracle was awake now. He looked tired and sore when he looked up to see Camilo but he looked better, and the smile on his face eased some of Camilo's pain.

Spencer sat up slowly on the bed as his sweet blue eyes studied Camilo with concern. Noah was still either passed out or sleeping. He looked peaceful at least.
"They had to sedate him again, poor thing was so freaked when he didn't know where he was. They wouldn't give me a chance to talk.."

Spencer stopped and pulled at Camilo's arm until he sat down on the bed.
"Camilo, what's wrong?" He asked softly. Camilo made sure Spencer wasn't hurt and then he broke down in his boyfriends arms. Spencer held him close and ran his fingers through Camilo's hair. He didn't push, he never did. He just held Camilo through whatever he was going through until Camilo was calm enough to speak.

"It's my Abuela, she's apparently very sick and i have to go home because we don't know how long she's got but.." he took a breath and squeezed Spencer's hand in his. Spencer ran little circles around the back of his palm and Camilo found it in himself not to be angry, at least not right that moment.
"But she's been sick for a while and they didn't tell me." He said. Spencer frowned and continued his little circles.

"They probably didn't want to worry you 'milo, is it okay if I call you that?" He blushed. Camilo nodded.
"If I'm okay with anyone calling me that, it's you." Camilo said getting lost in the sweetness that Spencer just seemed to emanate.
"You were going through a rough time, it hasn't exactly been smooth sailing, darling." He said a little apologetically. "They may have kept this from you but they were just trying to protect you." He added and kissed the side of Camilo's head. Camilo gave him a smile. Three words sat on his tongue but he wasn't ready to say them yet.
"But she could have died." Camilo said as he was jolted back into the reality of it all, his Abuela as well as having to be away from Spencer.
And suddenly his Tio and Sister were at the doorway. Camilo scowled but Spencer patted his leg and whispered to him.
"they were trying to protect you."
Spencer was right. He gave him a smile and held his hand.

"Camilo, we're sorry we didn't tell you but you know how firm your mama can be.."
Bruno started but Camilo shook his head.
"No, it's okay. I get it, you didn't want to worry me." He said simply. And his tio and sister looked shocked. Then Bruno looked between Camilo and Spencer and smiled.

"We like this one, he's good." He said with a smile. Spencer blushed and waved a hand dismissively. Dolores smiled at Spencer too.

"We have to leave as soon as you're ready 'milo." Dolores said suddenly serious.
"What?" Was all Camilo could manage. "Spence just woke up and I.."

"Camilo, I'm fine. Your family needs you." Spencer said and kissed his hand.
"Come with us." Camilo said, of course! He could bring Spencer home to meet the family and make this trip more bearable it was perfect but..
"Camilo, I don't think that it's an appropriate time to.." Delores started but Camilo stopped him.
"No, you don't get to do that." He snapped and he felt the burning behind his eyes. Spencer pulled Camilo to face him.

"'milo, I'll be right here when you get back you know that." Spencer said sweetly. But it just tipped Camilo over the edge, into tears again.

"But Spencer," Camilo started. Spencer kissed him gently on the lips. Camilo melted and wanted to hold onto him. But he knew he couldn't make him come. Could he?

"I'd be intruding, It's not the right time for me to come back with you, but I promise you, I'll come with you sometime okay." Spencer pressed his forehead to Camilo's.

"Okay." Camilo said through his tears.
"But I need you."
"Camilo, I can't." Spencer frowned.

"We'll give you two sometime, while we get your stuff together and sort out time off for you." Bruno said apologetically. Camilo nodded not taking his eyes off Spencer.

He knew he loved Spencer and an irrational part of him thought that if this was reversed Camilo would insist on being by Spencer's side.
Maybe Spencer didn't love him.. or at least not enough to be by his side when he needed him. Camilo swallowed past the lump in his throat and got up.

"I should go." He said a bit shakily but he centred himself.
"We have time." Spencer said caught off guard.
"You'll be here when I get back." Camilo heard how cold he sounded and noticed that Spencer picked up on it, he dropped his head. And that didn't make him feel great but..
"Camilo wait I.." Spencer tried when Camilo started to walk away.
"There's nothing you can say right now, Spence. Only something you can do." Camilo said, looked at Spencer for a second but when he looked away Camilo turned and left without saying goodbye.
He let himself burst into tears as soon as he knew Spencer was out of ear shot. His sister and tio tried to comfort him as they packed up but it didn't help.
Camilo felt nothing now, all he felt was hollow.