29 | the wheels and the fuss

Her head felt like it was being split open

Louise cracked open an eye. There was a ringing noise in her ears, and something warm trickled down her face. She touched her forehead; her fingers came away red. Her lap was vibrating, and it took her a moment to realize what it was: her phone.

She glanced at the cracked screen. Raised it to her ear.

"Hello?" she croaked.

"Louise?" Ben's voice was filled with relief. "Louise, is that you?"

She winced. "Yeah."

"Are you alright? Where are you?"

"I'm..." She blinked, taking in the cracked windshield. The green plants poking through the window. Her stomach rolled. "Oh, my god. Something's happened." Her voice cracked. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I feel really strange."

"I'm coming to get you," Ben said.

She could hear the hum of an engine, and for a terrible second, Louise thought that she was still driving, that Sebastian's car was still moving, but no; it was on Ben's side of the line. He was in a car. She frowned.

"Did I call you already?" Louise asked.

How else would Ben know to come get her? She had a head injury, Louise thought; maybe she'd forgotten. When Ben spoke, his voice was deliberately calm, as if he was trying not to panic, and her heart sped up.

"No," Ben said. "I've been trying to call you, but you weren't picking up. Arabella rung me. She sounded really worried." There was a pause. She could hear a turn signal. "Louise, do I need to call an ambulance?"

She thought about it. More warm liquid trickled down her face.

"Yes," Louise said. "I think so."

"Okay," Ben said, in that same calm tone. "I'm going to hang up and call them. I have your location on my phone, but I need you to confirm that it's correct, okay?" He rattled off a series of street names. "Is that where you are?"

Her head gave a painful throb. "I think so."

"Stay put, Louise," Ben said. "I'm on my way."

She swallowed. "Please hurry."

Louise hung up. She unbuckled her seatbelt with shaking hands, pushing open the car door. The red Mercedes was smoking slightly, the front bumper smashed in. A low moaning sound came from the other side of the car. She stumbled towards it, feeling the impact of each step jolt up her spine.

"Sebastian?" Her voice was hoarse. "Is that you?"

"Louise?"

He was sitting against the car, his head resting against a tire. His blond hair had grass matted in it, but he looked otherwise unharmed, Louise thought; she leaned against the vehicle, fighting a wave of dizziness.