Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

2

AMY

At this point, I was positive I needed to pay a visit to a sage who would help ward off all the freaking bad luck tormenting me.

It was significantly worse today as if almost burning down our rented apartment just this morning wasn't enough; I left the house with the wrong pair of shoes, and only realized it halfway, after which I had to rush back down to the apartment to change.

I couldn't even get a taxi to take me to my destination and calling a rideshare wasn't an option because I had forgotten to charge my phone before going to bed. I was jet lagged and super tired; the only thing I could do last night was to enroll Hayley into a school, seeing as we would be in Miami for a year and a few months. I didn't want her to miss out on anything, so I looked for a school closer to the apartment. Somewhere I could quickly rush to when something happens because, with Hayley, something always happens.

She was just like me, a trouble magnet.

It didn't even help that I had been so clumsy, literally breaking what looked like an expensive statue that would probably pay for my rent all through my stay in Miami. How I was going to pay for that, I had no idea.

To top the whole thing off, I just had to—had to bump into the one person I was supposed to stay the hell away from, Damien Chesterfield.

I felt like melting into a puddle right when my gaze met his.

I knew I was screwed. Royally. Exclusively, screwed.

There was no way word wouldn't reach the media that I was back. The divorce was literally everywhere on the tabloids years ago, after I left Miami. I kept up with the news for a few months before taking down all my social media and finally shutting out that part of my life.

A week later, I found out I was pregnant.

How awfully lovely because that kind of stuff could only happen to me. Amy "Bad Luck" Dimple.

I was lucky enough that he allowed me to keep the baby. Lord knew I had spent hours thinking of ways to escape my father so that I could keep Hayley alive.

I shook my head of all the thoughts as I put all my equipment back into my bag.

The meeting ended, and I signed the contract with Mr. Jung. Who assured me that I didn't need to cover up the payments to replace the statue. He used the words. "Don't worry about it. It could happen to anyone."

Obviously, he was unaware of the whole lousy luck streak I had going on.

All for the best.

Everyone was exiting the board room, and I was glad Damien was conversing with Mr. Jung, so it was effortless for me to slip away and rush out of the board room.

I quickly fished for my dying phone in my bag, seeing only 12 percent of which I had managed to get in, thanks to a random stranger on the bus I took, who was kind enough to lend me his wireless charger.

"Great, it's in airplane mode," I let out, quickly deactivating it.

"Amy?"

I froze on the spot.

Did I really think I could get away without talking to him?

Relaxing my shoulder, I took a deep breath and turned, plastering a smile on my face. "Damien!"

"Were you running away?" he asked; the look he gave me was one I recognized—his usual face of indifference, which compelled answers out of anyone.

God, I missed his face. His voice. To think there was a time when I couldn't go a day without talking to him or even being by his side.