Chapter 64

Warning: holy water needed (kind of).

***

The Slytherin Common Room was dark as usual, filled with chatting students.

Mason was playing chess with Zane quietly, listening to the sound of the fireplace and their housemates.

Zane cleared his throat. "About Amber –"

"Don't," Mason said in a flat tone while contemplating his next move. "We broke up. I don't care about her anymore, so drop it."

"But how?!" Zane's eyes widened. "How come you got over her so quickly? Did something happen?"

Mason clenched his jaw. "Your turn."

His friend leaned back in his seat. "Why won't you talk to me, Mason?"

After a few seconds of thinking, he was about to answer his question, but someone beat him to it.

"Hey, you two," Esther – Zane's new girlfriend – hugged him from behind. "Who's winning?"

"You," Mason muttered under his breath.

"I didn't catch that," Esther frowned.

"Actually," Mason moved to stand up, "it's obvious that I would win, so I'm not even going to waste my time. Feel free to continue without me."

Esther grinned. "Ooh, can we go on a walk?" She asked Zane.

"Sure thing, babe," Zane smiled back at her.

Mason turned his back to them. "Have fun," he rolled his eyes, then started walking towards the door.

Before he knew it, he was already heading towards the library.

When he arrived, he started wandering around absentmindedly. Mason was roaming the corridors with his hands in his pockets, stopping in front of a shelf every so often. The Slytherin acted like he was looking for a specific book, but that's all that it was – an act. Deep down he knew what he really wanted to find. Or who he wanted to find.

By the time he reached the back of the library, he felt quite tired, so he decided to sit down for a bit in a dark, secluded aisle filled with dusty books that no one ever looked for.

He sat down on one of the old chairs and leaned his head down on the desk. The image of Zane and Esther appeared in his mind, making him even grumpier than he already was.

Ten minutes later, he stood up, groaning. He was about to leave the aisle when someone suddenly blocked his way.

"Oh?"

Mason glanced up, his eyes meeting a pair of dark, familiar ones.

"Eamon?" He asked, his voice surprisingly weak.

"Hello, Mason," the Ravenclaw smirked. "What a pleasant surprise..."

He grabbed his chin gently, the rings on his fingers feeling cold against Mason's skin.

"I was just – I was searching for a book," Mason muttered.

Eamon gave him an amused look. "I didn't ask you to explain yourself."

Feeling ashamed, Mason broke their eye contact. His eyes ran over Eamon's figure slowly, taking his appearance in. He was wearing black pants with a white button-up tucked inside them with the first few buttons undone, the blue and bronze tie hanging loosely around his neck. Mason could see his collarbones, and even though most of it was still covered, he could tell how defined and muscular his upper body was. The sleeves of his shirt were also rolled up, revealing his tan, veiny hands.