chapter 02

In the backseat of the car, I was busy staring at the card Harry had given me earlier. My thumb went over his initials and the telephone number that was printed on it like I had been doing at the bar.

Driving back home at midnight, I began to realize I had done something I would have never done before. So why had I decided to take it with me? Why didn't I want to get rid of it?

I strived not to give it another thought because I wasn't going to get anything out of it. I blamed the long night and what happened at home for my irresponsible actions. If today had been different, I wouldn't have accepted his card, I wouldn't have found myself talking to him.

I thanked the driver for getting me home safely and then I walked to the entrance of my home.

The minute I heard the key unlock the front door, I had to have to wear a façade knowing that Jace could be walking around. It made me listless.

As fast as I could, I kicked my shoes off. There was no better feeling than removing high heels after an event. I shouldn't have forgotten to bring flats with me because those shoes were damaging my feet whenever I wore them. Then I turned around so I could lock the door behind me.

There wasn't any light or endless chatter coming from the living room where Jace had been with his friends, so the boys had left.

Even though I would have loved to talk to them right now, it made me happy I had the kitchen to myself so I could open a bottle of wine without anyone judging me for it.

I sat on one of the barstools as I poured myself a drink that I gulped it down. It burned less than the whiskey, but it did its job nonetheless.

Sitting there, I removed the heavy earrings I had worn all night. As much as I enjoyed getting dressed up for special occasions, I loved to take it off as well. Fundraisers, extravagant dinners, flamboyant parties, grand openings, were the only reasons for me to get totally dressed to the nines. I used to do it when Jace and I would go on a date, but that's something we did in the past.

Half of the bottle was empty before I put it away and went upstairs. Jace would already be in our bed because his friends weren't here anymore, so with the alcohol in my body I found the courage to walk to his side of the bed and kneel next to him.

I somehow admired the way he was sleeping deeply and letting his guard down. Seeing him being lost in his dreams, I saw the vulnerability he had shown me since we became best friends. It was present as I watched him sleep, but why he hid it from me when he was awake puzzled me still.

"Hey." I whispered as I was next to him. He didn't reply to me, so I called out for him. "Jace?" I added faintly.

His brows were knitted together for a second as realization dawned on him.

"Ivy?" he asked, sleepily.

"Yeah." I muttered and my mouth curved in a smile. "I just got home."

A heavy, somehow disturbed, sigh escaped his mouth. Suddenly he had swapped his defenseless attitude to his bitter state of mind, making me erase the smile I had once on my face.

He grimaced. "You didn't have to wake me up to tell me." he spoke with frustration lingering in his voice. Jace then turned around, so I'd see his back instead of his face and leaving me with nothing more.

I froze. Even if I tried something nice after how we left things earlier this evening, it wasn't good enough.

I had to piece a small part of me together to find the strength to get up. The shot in my chest and the liquor in my blood caused my bottom lip to quiver, but instead of letting a soft cry leave my mouth in Jace's presence, I dragged myself to the bathroom and locked the door.