Chapter Forty-Three

What are they feeding you? Soup? Crasuel says. Come on, girl. You're acting like this is your first night as a wolf.

I scowl as I plunge myself into a harder run to catch up to him. Thorn and the others have given up trying to match our speed. We're at least a mile in front. It is.

Really? You've never seen Thorn in transition?

You don't know? I say.

Know what?

I was a human before tonight. Thorn transferred his transition into me. This sort of gateway opens and he can activate my wolf gene through it. It's complicated to explain but that's why he's human and I'm a wolf.

I reach his side and we twist ourselves in opposite directions to avoid a tree, we come back together a second later and our paws are in sync until Crasuel eventually slows to a walk. I mimic his speed and we stop.

You were human? he asks. We knew there was something different about you when you were born but we didn't believe that you'd grow up that way. We thought you would have your senses and your strength. That you'd be protected. When Sky and Dominic said that they found you that day of the eclipse, I just assumed they meant in wolf form.

No. I glance away as his amber eyes burn into me. I was human, running from my old life. Thorn saved me. I owe him everything.

That's why he didn't kill you.

I think being mated was a huge part of it too, I say. The curse is broken now. Thorn and his pack are free.

Yes, I heard some of them talking about the curse being broken. I don't really want to think about what you had to go through for that to happen. He sits and takes a deep breath, twisting his head to the nearing vibrations. Does he make you happy?

Ridiculously happy. I know that you've grown up being taught to hate him but he had his reasons for killing Atticus. Good reasons.

Crasuel smiles through his wolf form. I never doubted that. Atticus was a complicated alpha. He fell in love with a woman that promised him power. The most dangerous kind of mating bond. Thorn was protecting the humans. If it wasn't for the fact that I knew he'd kill any of her descendants on sight then I would have shaken his hand a long time ago.

Thorn makes an appearance through the set of trees in the distance and shakes his head at us as he runs.

There's still time, I say.

I'll think about it.

"Are you two trying to win a medal or something?" Thorn shouts.

It's such a shame, Crasuel says.

I snap my eyes back to his. What is?

Your wolves will never meet.

Crasuel takes off again, disappearing over a cliff. I am suddenly frozen. I've never thought about that but he's right. My wolf and Thorn's wolf will never meet. I will never run with him through the forest like I've just done with my father. Our speed will never match.

"Devon, are you okay?"

I snap out of it and I force my body to move forwards. Thorn jumps up to top of the cliff like he's on a trampoline. I catch up to Crasuel a few seconds later. My body accidentally bangs into his and I receive a weird shock. An electric shock. It pulses over my body like I'm alight with sparks.

I can hear vibrations up ahead, we are heading towards a large group of soldiers. He's about to run straight into a firing squad. Slow down. They'll hear you.