Micah - Terrors of the Night Chapter 14

From the sky, dew fell like snow flakes, remaining in perfect form when touching ground. Micah and his uncle sat beside sir Elroy amongst the fire, feeling what must've felt like a thousand eyes upon them. King Algar joins them in the trampled mud, bringing with him a platter filled with slices of beef and salted roast pork.

"I've brought you men some food," the King told them. "It's a few days old and it's hard as rocks but it will keep you full." Micah stretched his hands toward the platter but when he saw it was wet and cold, he refrained.

"Another time," he added while Sir Elroy grabbed the platter, eating as much as he could while Old Lobo helped in clearing the meat from of the silverware. "Your Grace," Micah muttered, as the King sat beside him, giving him his wine sack.

"Drink," King Algar told him as he stared into the fire. "It will help you sleep better in this mud."

"Why would a King leave his camp, to sit next to an outcast in the wet?" Micah asked him before swallowing his drink.

"We're all outcasts," the King told him, grabbing his wine sack. "No one here is lesser than the other, every single one of us here is fighting for survival."

"I've heard stories about her father and mine," Micah said, staring at Princess Elia as she stepped out of her camp, sharing platters of bread and cheese.

"They were the greatest of friends," replied the King. "What your father did was unexpected and unforgivable."

"She seems like a good person," said Micah, noticing her as she drew closer toward him.

"Don't be fooled by her pretty face and kindness," Algar warned. "She wanted your head for being the traitor's son."

"And she shall have it," Old Lobo interrupted. "Just a different kind," he laughed aloud.

"No more wine for both of you," Micah said taking away their wine sacks.

"Bread?" the Princess asked him, as she stood before him with one of her maids beside her. Micah looked on, staring into her eyes, saying nothing back. "Do you want it?" she then asked him aloud, with the look of annoyance covering her face, "Or shall I stay here and feed you myself?"

"I'm full," he told her while pulling out a few strands of Spruce furs from her hair. "Thank you for asking."

"Keep your hands to yourself!" she said in anger. "If you ever touch me again, I will have your hands removed."

"I apologise," Micah then said while grabbing a piece of the bread. He then tosses it toward one of the children who was sitting across from him.

"Thank you for you kindness," King Algar told her while she stood there looking down on him.

"I look at you and all I see is my money being wasted," she then walked away, heading back into her camp.

"Never mind her, boy," Algar told him laughing. "She's tough as nails. She's not so trusting of outsiders. My advice to you, lad, keep on her good side. She's the one paying for all of this."

"I've heard she's been promised to some King in Heartfell," said Old Lobo, while biting down on another piece of pork. The King took the platter away from them and he handed it to the people around him.

"I heard he's an old fat one, with a belly twice as Gus," added Sir Elroy.

"You two have been here no longer than an hour and you're already listening to gossip," King Algar said with a smile. "You two need to keep your ears to yourselves and eyes toward your feet." He then got up dusting off the dirt from his pants. "May the Gods save you, boy," he muttered to Micah before leaving them all there as he headed toward his tent.