Chapter 7

07 : Indoctrinated Happiness

I glared at Kei after we night-traveled outside the palace. Fortunately, being awakened lessened the disorienting effect of that ability of his, but it still freaked me out.

"Stop doing that," I grumbled.

Kei just let out a smug smile. "As you wish, lady."

Hindi ko alam kung dapat ko bang pagkatiwalaan ang sinabi niya pero hinayaan ko na muna dahil nagsimula siyang maglakad. Agad naman akong sumunod. Doon ko na-realize na nag-end up kami malapit sa royal gate.

The royal gate was the humungous gate that kept the royal estate apart from the country's land. Meanwhile, the palace gate was much smaller and closer to the palace itself. It had been months since I saw this gateway, so its sheer size kind of intimidated me once again.

Kei walked toward the woods on the right side, so I promptly followed. It was quite unnerving to see crows, ravens, and vultures perched on tree branches, quietly staring at us, but what surprised me was the creature tied on a boulder nearby.

Agad akong napahinto sa paglalakad nang makita ko ang nasa harapan namin. I had seen two upon entering Vrivarya before, but they were attached to a carriage.

"An undead horse," I blurted out.

The horse neighed harshly, as if recognizing my words. It was much bigger than a normal horse, making it more intimidating up-close. Most of its body parts were just skeleton, while sharp bones protruded on its spine and a single dark horn on its forehead. Its mane and tail were as black as night, as if they were conjured from darkness, a complete contrast from its flickering crimson eyes.

"It's called a grim, lady," Kei said, "and only strong warriors whom they acknowledge can ride them."

He said grims were faster than a living horse and even capable of shadow step, a technique used by assassins where they move at an incredible speed without making a sound. I remembered Irus doing it before, and it was as nauseating as Kei's night travel. But what was worse was grims were already fast without it, so using that skill could be too much for someone who wasn't highly trained.

"Is that so? Then, I don't think I can ride it," I mumbled as I tried to step back. The grim was producing a low guttural sound and I was sure it didn't find me worthy to be riding on its back.

Kei snickered in return. "No worries, lady. Besides strong warriors, grims are lenient to royals and nobles. They like their scent, I think."

Mukhang napansin naman niyang hindi ako masyadong naniniwala kaya napataas ang kilay niya. He gestured for me to step closer to the grim, but I just grimaced in return. Akala ko ay susuko na siya pero nanlaki ang mga mata ko nang tinanggal niya ang tali mula sa boulder.

I stood still when the grim suddenly approached me while neighing. It carefully circled me and few seconds later, brushed its head against my right arm.

"See? He likes you."

"I doubt that."

Honestly, the creature gave me the creeps. It was the same feeling I felt upon seeing werewolves. Grims looked more majestic compared to them, but they emit the same kind of air—cold, deadly, and terrifying.

"Shall we?"

Inalalayan niya ako sa pagsakay sa grim. I was anxious the whole time dahil baka bigla na lang itong mag-panic at malaglag ako, o 'di kaya bigla itong tumakbo nang ako lang ang sakay.