31;; Besides me

31;; Besides me...

✩ ✩ ✩

Riki sets out his notes and phone in front of him on the table, cracking his knuckles before reaching out for their matchmaking book, "Why does this feel so nostalgic?" he chuckles, flipping through the pages before clicking on his pen which suddenly snaps Jake out of his unknown trance.

"Minsong didn't come to practice yesterday."

Riki turns around to face Jake, "What?" he exasperates, the notebook still in his hand along with his pen.

Jake sighs and cards his fingers through his hair," Min- nothing, it doesn't matter." He hums and walks over to the younger side before taking a seat, examining the materials he lays out in front of him while he works, "So, what is the plan?" he leans over Riki's shoulder, the boy too engrossed in his own work to register the question.

"The same thing as we always do," Riki states in a matter-of-fact tone, "if they were random classmates – but no – they're best friends," he swivels in his chair to face the older who's eyebrows are furrowed at his conclusions, "So, we have to go back,"

"Way back – to the first case ever," He hums, oddly serious about his work which Jake always seemed to find so cute, "matchmaking Sunghoon and Sunoo – relationship type: best friends." He drags his pen over the words ' best friends' to which Jake nods along silently, eyes skimming through their first work.

"Hmm... okay," Jake mutters, more to himself than Riki, eye trailing over to the laptop which displayed their messages with Heeseung – what he wanted and what he was comfortable with – very important information, "You know, Heeseung right..." he points his pen to the screen, the younger nodding nonchalantly as he scribbles more things down in his notebook.

"Do you think, let's say if Minsong found out, would he be mad?" Jake suddenly inquires but the question is valid which leaves Riki silent. He sighs through his nose, drumming his pen against the pages of his book before shrugging silently.

"Well, he won't." Riki states bluntly, "I mean, who really ever finds out?" He points out, the older nodding slowly, almost dissatisfied with the answer he was given, pursing his lips tightly. He drums his fingers in an awkward manner, turning away from the screen as he waits for Riki to finish writing.

Breaking the sudden silence, "Well, I mean, I did – didn't I?" Jake points out, Riki finally looking away from his book and nodding with a smile, chuckling softly at the stupid attempt to do the impossible.

"Yeah but you're a matchmaker, Minsong well, isn't," Riki points out, but once again, Jake turns away and nods silently, dissatisfied with the response he was given but didn't think to argue. The olders' odd, almost off, behaviour went unnoticed by Riki who was to indulge in quickly putting together the plan on paper so they could get started as soon as possible.

Jake purses his lips after licking them, resting his head on the cusp of his palm as his eyes dart around the room, feet shifting under the table. The harsh sound of pen pressing and dragging against the white paper stacked on top of each other, a slight drumming noise from Riki's fingers from his agitation to finish writing cut the period of silence short, but Jake was too busy trying to distract himself to notice.

He couldn't explain why his body kept reaching out for a pencil to fiddle between with his fingers, fingers gently drumming against the table while his eyes scattered around the scenery, trying to pick an object or a solid colour to entertain his mind instead of waiting for Riki – wondering how this whole matchmaking was going to go down. It was so soon, too soon, from the last one.