vi. incongruous

(   VI

( VI. INCONGRUOUS )

     THE PAST FEW DAYS FOR AMELIE HAD BEEN AN EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER, to say the fucking least. Up and down, the whispers would come, this time they weren't coming from Claudia Stilinski. These whispers were foreign, never been heard before by the Nightly girl, and as she approached the school to get on the bus for the cross-country meet, they would only get louder and louder.

     "Hey," She whispered to Isaac, who was seated next to Boyd, who she nodded towards. "You didn't tell me you were crashing at Scott's."

     "I— uh," Isaac stutterer, glancing at Boyd. "I just didn't wanna worry you." This made Amelie frown, she would always worry about Isaac Lahey. "Yeah, well, my house is always open as well," She muttered before heading to the back to get seated, in front of Stiles and Scott, muttering a good morning to them.

     Scott looked absolutely awful, to say the least, and considering everything that went down last night, she couldn't exactly blame him for that. "Scott, you okay?" Amelie asked him quietly. He groaned in response with a yes.

     "Uh, what's the word?" Scott turned to Stiles.

     "Anachronism."

     "Something that exists our of its normal time," Scott groaned again. "Nice! Okay, next word– incongruous," Stiles continued swiping on the iPad.

     "Uh, can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked. "Yes. Yes, I can! It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet, after what just happened. Incongruous."

     "Out of place, ridiculous," Scott replied. "Absurd," Amelie interjected, as she flipped through the pages of her dad's journal that she found in the attic the day before. She was hoping to find anything that she could've said that might lead to knowing what she really is.

     "Perfect. Okay, next word. Um... Darach," Stiles smiled, and Amelie closed the journal, turning around to face Stiles with a raised brow.

     "Darach. It's a noun?" He asked innocently, only to receive condescending looks from both Scott and Amelie. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?"

     After receiving no response from Scott other than facing the window and leaning his forehead on it and Amelie turning back around to flip through her dad's journal, Stiles continued with the words. "Next word, Intransigent."

    "Stubborn, obstinate–" Scott trailed off, groaning loudly as the bus screeched to a halt.

     "Oh, buddy, you okay?" Stiles asked. "We shouldn't have come. I knew it, we shouldn't have come."