Absence of Light

It was 10 at night in winter so of course it was pitch black outside, I was walking home. I had just been at my netball training, my bus didn't come. It was only about an hours walk but it felt like I had been walking for hours.

It was so cold outside, I could feel the cold snapping at my nose, making it hurt and making me need to sneeze. My hands were so cold, it felt like my fingers were going to fall off. My knuckles felt like they were being stabbed by an ice-icle. I was in pain, but I almost wasn't, I was almost so numb from the cold that I couldn't feel any pain.

I thought I heard footsteps behind me, I thought I heard someone walking. O turned around only to see a stray dog.

I carried on walking, it was only another hour to my house, when then, again, I heard the footsteps. I know I shouldn't let these little things scare me, but it did. It scared me a lot.

I phoned my friend, Mary. She lived about 10 minuets away from me, she said that she would send her son to come pick me up.

He got to me surprisingly fast, when I opened the door to his black small car, all he said was get in, he didn't even ask where I lived. I think his mother must of tolled him. He looked angry, so, I decided to stay clear of all conversation with him altogether.

When we arrived, I said a polite thank you and walked inside. I put my key on the back of my door and went to the kitchen to boil the kettle, I was still so cold.

I went upstairs to get into my pyjamas, fluffy things with Scotty dogs on them, and lay on my bed for a while. I looked outside to see Mary's sons car, still there. I saw him, running towards the door.

I was terrified, I ran and hid in the drawers under my bed, I covered myself in clothes.

I heard him running upstairs. I felt my heart race, my breathing got heavy, I just wanted to get out of there. I felt like I was going to die, he might slit my throat, he might shoot me, he could rape me, then kill me, he could torture me, what if he hung me? So many what ifs were going through my head, I felt sick.

He ran upstairs, he checked in every room upstairs to see if I was there. He walked into my room. My heart was in my throat. I was shaking all over. I couldn't breathe properly. He was in my room, and he was going to kill me. I was terrified, terrified doesn't even begin to describe how I felt, I felt more then terrified, I was about to be killed.

He checked all around my room, then he took my jewellery box, it had all of my mothers jewellery in it. She had passed away sadly 10 years ago, he was taking my jewellery.

He ran down stairs and out the door, into his car and he drove away as quickly as possible.

To this day, I have never seen him, ever again. The police have been searching for him for 3 years now, and all that was found of my mothers jewellery was a necklace that he had dropped.